PDA

View Full Version : get rid of worksets

janunson
2005-04-14, 06:50 PM
I have a file. It was a project for which we developed some stuff i like. I want to make a template from it. I try to save as, but it says template files may not have worksets enabled.

1. I tried to get rid of all worksets but this doesn't seam to help. Is there a way to disable the worksets?

2. Why no worksets in a template? It might be nice to have some by default so you don't always have to recreate them.

Allen Lacy
2005-04-14, 09:47 PM
You can't disable worksets once they're started. I would suggest that you just copy and paste the project or parts of project into a new file. This will lose the worksets. Then you can create your template from there.

beegee
2005-04-14, 10:12 PM
Re Disabling Worksets:
You can combine all the worksets into one and continue, or you can also just make everything editable by you.

Re Templates and Worksets:

>>>You can't activate worksets from within a project template file.

To create a template with worksets you'd need to do an end run: Start a new project and enable worksets and finally change the filename extension to RTE after you close the project and delete the backup folder. When a user tries to start a project with this template they'll get an error message telling them they need to create a new central file in order to continue using it as a central file, otherwise it will be treated as a local copy, edited at risk. Not the most user friendly way for your users to get started off?

Also, fwiw, Revit workset documentation specifically cautions against creating worksets for projects too soon. Naturally it's up to us to decide when...they just encourage us to avoid introducing complexity too early. Something to keep in mind.[Edit: This quoted portion is from a reply to a suggestion by janunson to include worksets in a template file which Revit won't let you do directly. Steve]