PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Revit Computer!

Lashers
2005-04-19, 11:34 PM
I am currently working on the spec for my next computer, and was wondering what would be the perfect Revit machine - note not necessarily the most expensive, but something that just does everything good or above! I will take a stab at it below:-

Akasa Eclipse-62 (their ref: AK-BKCSF-01) LOTS of ROOM inside, 120 fans F&B
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 Athlon64 Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64bit 3500 (or above ££) Socket 939
2 GB DDR400 RAM (should this be 2 or 4 sticks??)
Antec 450W SmartPower ATX
HP 640i16x Internal DVD/RW (like it because you can laser write on the disk)
2No - Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM Serial-ATA with 8MB Buffer (raid 0) for DATA
1No - Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM Serial-ATA with 8MB Buffer (OS and Progs)
1No - Gigabyte GeForce PCX6600GT 128Mb PCI-E x16 with TV/DVI (SLI Compliant)
Windows XP Pro

I know that there are Intel preferences out there and dual processors, but I build my own machines so I am trying to keep within my skill levels. but it would be good to see the other options.

I am just getting into doing rendering and avi's how will this impact on the choices I am making?

Cheers

Roger Evans
2005-04-20, 12:15 AM
I would consider cooling & give quiet operation as a high priority ~ my AMD 3200 64 system (similar?) is now noisier than before after my recent crash

Also One of my 120 Gb Samsung SATA hard drives has failed ~ (12 months use) so purchase with long warranties
I noticed 5 year warranty now available on some drives

Lashers
2005-04-20, 10:39 AM
I would consider cooling & give quiet operation as a high priority ~ my AMD 3200 64 system (similar?) is now noisier than before after my recent crash

Also One of my 120 Gb Samsung SATA hard drives has failed ~ (12 months use) so purchase with long warranties
I noticed 5 year warranty now available on some drives

Cheers Roger! I chose the Akasa case because it is quiet with the 120mm fans (spin slower so less noise) and it runs cooler from my research.

I am taking my first leap into SATA! but I guess I have to wing it anyway as I have about 4 failed hard drives floating around my place at the minute so I just have to backup, backup, backup.

Are U using XP 64? on yours?

luigi
2005-04-20, 01:37 PM
Maybe a 10,000rpm hard drive or faster? it helps!

dg
2005-04-20, 07:56 PM
I think any current 3ghz or above system will be fine.

I am under the impression that Revit has some programming issues which will be present even with some of the higher spec'd systems.

My system has no problems with screen refreshes or rotating the model, or actually working with the model. But my main choke point is in using things like the properties box, menus, loading components and saving files etc.

You have not mentioned the monitor. Allow for dual 19" screen or large widescreen if you have not already done so.

Lashers
2005-04-20, 08:04 PM
. . .
You have not mentioned the monitor. Allow for dual 19" screen or large widescreen if you have not already done so.

Hey dg, I have a couple of 19"ers but they are different makes (Sony and Visionmaster flat screen CRT's) but I am going to save for a 22" around Christmas.

I take your point about the bottlenecks in the system, I am hoping that going RAID will sort out the properties box, menus, loading components and saving files etc. I also want the protection as I have had a couple of HDD failures over the last two years that lost some info. and now that I am more dependent for the business now more then ever I am trying to build in some redundant safety if I can.

GuyR
2005-04-20, 08:42 PM
I know that there are Intel preferences out there and dual processors,

Looking at the performance figures for the new dualcore processors I don't think they're going to be a good choice for Revit until Revit supports them.

Stick with the fast single cores for now or get a true dual processor PC.

Guy

Kroke
2005-04-20, 08:48 PM
Well, I don't know if I got a bunk mobo or not, but I too bought the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 Athlon64 Socket 939 board. But only 1 gig of RAM. I had 2 512 sticks. The board refused to accept the second chip of RAM. I traded it on another computer, worked fine, Took the other cpu's RAM,put it in the K8N, same thing, so I RMA'd the thing back, got a new one, started all over, same problem. Lol, they probably sent me the same one back knowing my luck...

Lashers
2005-04-20, 10:51 PM
Well, I don't know if I got a bunk mobo or not, but I too bought the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 Athlon64 Socket 939 board. But only 1 gig of RAM. I had 2 512 sticks. The board refused to accept the second chip of RAM. I traded it on another computer, worked fine, Took the other cpu's RAM,put it in the K8N, same thing, so I RMA'd the thing back, got a new one, started all over, same problem. Lol, they probably sent me the same one back knowing my luck...

Nice! Perhaps I should review!? Did you persist or what did you change to? The Giga seems to have had good reviews . . . I was thinking about the Asus one that has Sli, but I can't see myself getting 2 graphics cards very soon . . .

Roger Evans
2005-04-20, 11:16 PM
Hey Lashers
This reminds me of probs I was having with fitting additional Ram in a Gigabyte Motherboard for my AMD a year or so ago ~ never did solve it ~ exchanged loads of makes of Ram & eventually bought my current pc ~ (back Posts still here probably) looked like compatibility issues

I was later Advised to get a Top Make of Ram and an alternative Motherboard
I now have ASUS

Oh & No I haven't gone 64 bit yet but let me know if you do

dg
2005-04-21, 04:13 PM
I have never seen RAM so cheap. I have just ordered two 512mb PC3200 modules for £31 each (plus vat). There was some 'value' RAM for £24, but I did not like to chance it.

Also upgraded to a 3.2ghz processor, so I am looking forward to some faster processing!