PDA

View Full Version : Space planning after programing

archjake
2005-04-20, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know of software that will help with space planning and relationships after the programing stage of development?

Maybe something with interactive bubble diagrams that build the relationships required and then it can show you different options based on the strength of the relationships.

Tom Dorner
2005-04-20, 10:55 PM
I haven't used this software in a couple of years, but it does have some of that capability. Check them out at:

http://www.fmsystems.com/products_fmspace.html

HTH

Tom (a Reviteer)

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-20, 11:50 PM
...Does anyone know of software that will help with space planning and relationships after the programing stage of development?...Have you seen the program Mind Manager? www.mindjet.com (http://www.mindjet.com/) It's really intended to help you organize your thoughts or ideas, but I've been thinking it might be a good tool for space planning. It isn't going to help you actually work out the space part of planning, but building a map of the organization of those spaces (bubble diagram), hierarchies, dependancies, relationships etc.

Even if you don't think it works for your needs in this fashion, it's a pretty cool piece of work!

Attached image took two minutes to type in the fields and shuffle around. The attached file is a map file and there is a free viewer at the url I listed above. Check it out regardless... The "James" gang can vouch for it too ;-) , since that's how I know about it. (James Vandezande and James Balding)

(map file...change the zip extension to .mmap)

Roger Evans
2005-04-21, 01:56 AM
Interesting

Why is it if you give 2 different chefs the same ingredients & recipe you can always taste the difference? ~ At least part of the answer is in the proportional weights of ingredients each chef uses. Similar in design ~ Given the same design brief, different designers will give slightly different weightings to each requirement & so we avoid repetition ... ~ Vive La Difference.

I've often found the need & I would like to use a program which offered :-
an adjustable/parametric 2D to 3D bubble graphic layout
controlled by "weighting" certain aspects of the brief
& then which could also be tweaked by shape & dimensions min / max
& then capable of being scaled up to give basic area sizes

I reckon this would help design analysis but still give sufficient flexibility in design layout to avoid repetition

sjsl
2005-04-21, 02:01 AM
Vectorworks can do what you ask.