PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Dynamic block insert

MikeM4OSU
2005-04-28, 03:31 PM
Ok, I have created a dynamic block with the visibility feature. Dynamic block "A", with three other blocks "B,C,D" within this dynamic block "A". First I saved the new drawing with the same name as dynamic block "A", so that my cad personnel can use it to insert in to there drawings from design center. This produce and error "Invalid" block references itself. Second, I renamed the drawing "A" to drawing "E" and tried to insert once again form design center and that worked, however I did not have the dynamic visibility option, so I had to explode block "E" to get to block "A". This works but again too many steps. I would like to be able to drag-n-drop from design center and move on.

Lastly I was able to put it on a tool palettes and everything worked like I wanted it to work. I just have not been able to figure out how to get my staff linked to use the same tool palette. More testing and reading for me.

My questions are:

How do I get the block to behave correctly in design center?

And any help with tool palette customization would be great.

Thanks to all, I will be watching for any advise.

Mike.Perry
2005-04-28, 10:52 PM
And any help with tool palette customization would be great.Hi

Take a look at the links in this (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=60789#post60789) post.

Have a good one, Mike

timd
2005-04-29, 01:02 PM
You've made a dynamic block and saved it in one drawing and then inserted it as a block in the other drawing ( a block of a block). If you explode the inserted block the dynamic features will be there. I did this too the first time I created a dynamic block. When you create, start with the base symbol you want to be a dynamic block and type bedit, then select current drawing. Add all of the parameters and actions you want and save and close the block editor. DO NOT save as a block. Then save the AutoCAD drawing as"A", or whatever name you want. Then insert this into a new drawing and the dynamic options should show up.

I created (4) dynamic blocks the same way you did before I decided to test and then realized my mistake and had to recreate them all.

For the tool-palette if you right click on the palette and pick customize you can export palettes (and I think groups in 2006) to a public location and others can import them on their machines. Unless AutoCAD has made changes in 2006, the tool-palettes once loaded on an individuals machine, are independent, so they won't be "linked"

Hope some of this helps.

MikeM4OSU
2005-04-29, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the help. It would have been nice for Autodesk to put that into a tutorial, most of us do not have the time to developing the new features and get our work done. I guess that is what this forum is for. Thanks again.

h.jobe
2011-04-14, 04:05 PM
I created (4) dynamic blocks the same way you did before I decided to test and then realized my mistake and had to recreate them all.

Rather than recreating blocks, you can also save blocks you've already created as a new drawing. In the block editor, under Open/Save, use "Save Block As". Check the box "Save block definition to drawing file".