PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining updated drawings

markkgilligan
2005-05-01, 07:08 PM
We work with a number of Architects each of which has their own layering, and line weight standards. Typically if we need updated drawings from the Architect we have to download the files from an ftp site and then plot them out which can take considerable time.

I would be interested in strategies and/or software that speeds up this process.

Expecting all of the Architects to adopt the same standard does not appear to be realistic at this time.

sturner
2005-05-02, 01:49 PM
if you just want a readable plan have them post their pen file for you to use. that way it will plot the way the architect intend it to and you will not have to mess with the layers.
if you want to use the drawing and need to convert it to your standards a script or lisp routine would work also layer translator works well. it is either in the express tools menu or the tools pull down -> cad standards submenu.

RobertB
2005-05-02, 02:47 PM
I don't think there is much you can do to change the FTP download & plot process. I suppose you could use a download manager to help manage the download process. And I'm sure the plotting isn't what really bugs you.

One technique we use is to plot the old and new plan together, using color on our DesignJet plotter, to show us where changes have occurred. Would you like to hear more?

MMccall.83699
2005-05-02, 03:36 PM
Why not have the Architects plot the drawings to PDF or Autocads DWF format using their own settings/plottings styles to produce them exactly the way they intended. All your involvement would be to download the PDF or DWF files and plot them with the FREE viewer for either format.

markkgilligan
2005-05-03, 03:35 PM
Why not have the Architects plot the drawings to PDF or Autocads DWF format using their own settings/plottings styles to produce them exactly the way they intended. All your involvement would be to download the PDF or DWF files and plot them with the FREE viewer for either format.

As consultants part of our job is to accommodate the way our clients work. Thus we prefer a solution that did not require dictating how our client does his work. In addition we often find it advantageous to use the .dwg files.

Maverick91
2005-05-03, 03:43 PM
Are you taking the outside drawings and incorporating the dwgs into your own?

We're consultants, too, which means that our in-house CAD standards mean very little for the finished product.

MMccall.83699
2005-05-03, 06:28 PM
A little more information about your issue might yield a more suitable solution.

What type/speed of connection are you downloading the files with?
What is your intended use of the information?
What process do you go through to get the information into a format you can use?
How often do you go through this and approx. much time do you spend doing it?

PS: Creating a DWF takes no more effort than plotting to an actual plotter.

markkgilligan
2005-05-04, 08:33 AM
My focus is primarily on the printing process. For starters the plotter configuration last used is never one we support. The net result is that it takes time to open the files redefine the line type configuration set the file up to be plotted at half scale etc...

The initial need is to view the drawing to see what is provided. Depending on the file we may use it as a background in one of our drawings in which case layers and lines are modified. We then have to repeat the process when the Architect makes some changes and sends us a copy.

MMccall.83699
2005-05-04, 05:26 PM
For viewing and plotting purposes I'd still recommend the DWF format. Whenever one of our clients requests drawing information I always ask what their intended use is and provide them with the most suitable format. It couldn't hurt to ask and see how accommodating they can be.

For plotting their DWG drawing files you must have their *.ctb or *.stb files and any missing font files. They should be providing these to you or at least making them available anyway if you deal with them on a regular basis.

For plotting half scale I'd try to do that through the plotting interface and with any features that the plotter driver may have available (ie, scale line widths) or plot full size DWF files using their files (see above) and then submit them to your plotter at half size using the viewer.

For using their drawing information in your drawings I would setup an drawing file with all the layers setup the way you would want the information formatted. Then use the 'Layertranslator' to make their file match this formatted template file. This will mostly likely not be 100% layer to layer match but it will get you close very quickly. Save the layer mapping created during the translation for use on later files. You'll end up building a mapping file for each consultant you work with and perhaps even one for different drawing types from each. I personally purge the files of any unused information before translating. (no need to reformat unused info) Also look into saved layer states to further refine the display of the incoming information.

Bear in mind that my response comes from working with AutoCAD 2004/05 products for civil engineering and my limited experience with them (less than a year) A more experienced user may have a better way, if so, I'd like to hear it too. Also, the above procedures are only useful if the information you get is consistent, logically sorted from each consultant and items derive their values based on layer settings.

JASONM30395
2005-05-04, 05:53 PM
I don't think there is much you can do to change the FTP download & plot process. I suppose you could use a download manager to help manage the download process. And I'm sure the plotting isn't what really bugs you.

One technique we use is to plot the old and new plan together, using color on our DesignJet plotter, to show us where changes have occurred. Would you like to hear more?
Another quick way to "illuminate" changes is the Compare DWG program found here http://www.furix.com/. Been using it for a while and find it's not bad.