PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Feedback Request: Multi-line Attributes

eric.stover
2005-05-02, 04:53 PM
Folks,

I'm writing the requirements for this feature request which has been off and on the AUGI wish list for many years. Several questions come to mind:

1. What would you use this feature for? What are some of your use cases? (please post screenshots if it helps explain.)

2. What internal AutoCAD text editor would you want to use (MTEXT, DTEXT, TEXT)?

3. When saving back to an older release format, how would you expect this attribute to behave? View only? For example, what if someone tried to edit it in AutoCAD 2000?

Thanks,

Eric

BCrouse
2005-05-03, 04:35 PM
Eric,

Here is the way that I would use this.

Thank you,

Mike.Perry
2005-05-07, 07:54 PM
Hi Eric
1. What would you use this feature for? What are some of your use cases? (please post screenshots if it helps explain.)For starters it would do away with the need for fancy combinations of Attribute Definitions within Drawing Sheet Title Blocks ie.

Drawing Title ->

Line 1 of 1

Line 1 of 2
Line 2 of 2

Line 1 of 3
Line 2 of 3
Line 3 of 3

Line 1 of 4
Line 2 of 4
Line 3 of 4
Line 4 of 4

Therefore 10 Attribute Definitions to cater for different combinations.

Project Title ->

Line 1 of 1

Line 1 of 2
Line 2 of 2

Line 1 of 3
Line 2 of 3
Line 3 of 3

Line 1 of 4
Line 2 of 4
Line 3 of 4
Line 4 of 4

Therefore 10 Attribute Definitions to cater for different combinations.

Revision Note ->

Line 1 of 1

Line 1 of 2
Line 2 of 2

Line 1 of 3
Line 2 of 3
Line 3 of 3

Therefore 6 Attribute Definitions to cater for different combinations.

etc.

As you can see a lot of Attribute Definitions are required to cater for the many different combinations that might be encountered.

With Multi Line Attributes you would only require...

1 Attribute Definition for "Drawing Title"

1 Attribute Definition for "Project Title"

1 Attribute Definition for "Revision Note"

etc.

2. What internal AutoCAD text editor would you want to use (MTEXT, DTEXT, TEXT)?Enhanced Attribute Editor and_or Multiline Text Editor.

3. When saving back to an older release format, how would you expect this attribute to behave? View only? For example, what if someone tried to edit it in AutoCAD 2000?Viewable - most definitely.

Would it possible to allow older AutoCAD versions to use their Multiline Text Editor on them?

What about Attribute Extraction within older AutoCAD versions?

:beer: Mike

Spectrefish
2005-05-10, 01:05 PM
With Multi Line Attributes you would only require...

1 Attribute Definition for "Drawing Title"

1 Attribute Definition for "Project Title"

1 Attribute Definition for "Revision Note"

Would it possible to allow older AutoCAD versions to use their Multiline Text Editor on them?

What about Attribute Extraction within older AutoCAD versions?

:beer: Mike
All of what Mike said. I stand behind that!!! Here is a brief example of where this would be handy.

jpaulsen
2005-05-20, 04:53 PM
I agree with all above. Our main use would be in fields in our title blocks. We have been struggling with this since we implemented the SSM. We had to remove some attributes from our title blocks and place text over the blocks, this is not desirable. I would love to be able to put the text back in our blocks as attributes.

If multi-line mtext is added as a feature I am sure we would find many other uses for it.

I think the MTEXT editor makes sense.

When saving to an older version it would be ideal if the multi-line attributes were saved as single line. I say this because it is rare for my company to use a file that we saved in an older version. This would present problems for firms that save to an older version, send to another consultant and then expect to get it back from that consultant to complete work on the drawing.

It would acceptable to have the MATTRIB to be view only when saved to an older drawing format.