PDA

View Full Version : Printing Multiple sheets of elongated views

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-06, 07:10 AM
Any ideas on how to print a plan view of a building that is much longer than the sheet I would need to place it on. ie, multiple sheets of 1 view without having to duplicate a view ?
Not sure if this post makes sense I have attached a thumbnail in case

luigi
2005-05-06, 10:48 AM
I never had such a problem before moving here to poland...here I had created a whle project fitting on A3 with 1:100, later we decided to have the project to 1:50, no problem, but I was asked to plot the drawing on 2 seperate A3 (for we only have an A3 printer)....well, that's when I encountered a problem...in Autocad, you just print window and it is quite an exact science, then you crop, tape and make a copy

In revit, I did duplicate the view and made 2 titleblocks where I inserted the 2 smaller views (I used scope boxes to have all the views cropped at the same point), printed, cut, taped and printed...

You could print by view (something like that, it is 1 of 3 option on how to print, I don't have Revit opened), so just zoom to have one part of the drawing visible and print to visible view

Just beware that what you see isn't what you get, the print will most likely print more than what you see, it is a defect within how revit prints the visible view

I hope my post makes sense... ;)

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-05-06, 12:30 PM
Besides making the sheet longer, NO.
We have got a base co-ordination plan, that we do all our call-outs off. Then all documentation/annotation takes place in that separate view or views. On each title sheet we place the co-ordination plan on at like 1:500 with the area that co-insides hatched, or you could simply just print one whole of the co-ord plan.

beegee
2005-05-06, 11:55 PM
Try the attached “Break Line “ family.

It’s a detail family, so is view specific.

Place it and control the extent of the white out using properties.

Copy the view with detailing and mirror the break line.

Place other instances of the break line in views as necessary to “crop”

knurrebusk
2005-05-07, 12:06 AM
If this is about printing A2-size on a A3 printer, Canon i9500 does this just fine.
You need to cut 4 sheets of A3 after the print though!

I´m looking out for a nice A2/A1 printer, not sure I´ll find one :(

LRaiz
2005-05-07, 03:59 AM
If I understand the question correctly then you want to print a big sheet on a small plotter.

One approach that could work is the following
1. Make your sheet as if your plotter is sufficiently large (use a big title block, not a small one as in the image attached to the first post of this thread).
2. Draw a line in the middle of your sheet. This line will help you tape left and right pieces together.
3. Print your sheet twice. During these prints use very different printer paper margins so you get left and right halves printed.
4. Cut one of them along the line and tape to another.

luigi
2005-05-09, 09:42 AM
Hi Leonid, the idea is very simple, but it doesn't work so easily. The method to print a large sheet in 2 times (i.e. the left and the right) isn't very precise, the only method I know is to print visible view and that we all know isn't very precise. I don't like to mention Autocad, but I must. In Autocad you can print all within a window and it won't print anything else that is outside of a window and you can specify easily and visibly the 2 opposite corners. In Revit you can't do this as of right now. And it will correctly place it to count for the actual margin.

I think that Beegee's idea is the closest to achieve the goal, but I haven't tried it, so I am not sure if Revit will print it correctly.

LRaiz
2005-05-09, 12:41 PM
Hi Leonid, the idea is very simple, but it doesn't work so easily. The method to print a large sheet in 2 times (i.e. the left and the right) isn't very precise...
What do you mean? In my proposal one draws a line so a cut can be made precisely along this line. Besides, in my proposal you don't have to keep recopying when annotations are added or deleted.

luigi
2005-05-09, 01:38 PM
Leonid, I just meant that you cannot easily print for example an A2 to 2 A3 (which an A2 is the size of twice of a rotated A3, A2 in Landscape is composed of 2 A3 portrait) and have the right (or left) margin at the exact point where it should be. I even had difficulty playing with the margin setting at the settings in the printer dialogue. I tried a few hours to make something like that work, with the line so I could use as a cut line.

What I did to fix the problem was to create 2 sheets showing the right A3 portrait and the left A3 portrait to create an A2 Landscape. If I could tell Revit that what I am trying to print is an exact boundary and nothing more, then the boundary will try to fit within my margins (either landscape or portrait) If the Print Range "Visible portion of current window" would work more precisely then there would be no problem.

The idea to print one drawing twice (left and right, upper and lower) is the preferred, nobody likes (especially me) the idea of the possibility of inaccuracies with the copying of annotations from one drawing to another, etc. it is just not practical using Revit, but I hope the factory will enhance, or fix, the "Visible portion of current window" option.

Leonid, I re-read your post, and it all makes sense like before, but part 3 of your post is the one that isn't so simple. Or maybe I nead to grasp a better idea on the changing of the margins....

LRaiz
2005-05-09, 02:32 PM
In my suggestion I did not intend to suggest that by printing twice on A3 paper and taping halves together you would end up with A2 paper size. I wonder if sheets of a custom paper size would be acceptable to your contractors. If they are then you could make a custom title block (say A2.5) that is as high as A2 but narrower. Even though you end up with non standard paper size your views will still be to scale.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-09-30, 11:02 AM
Just thought I would resurrect this old thread and say thanks to the factory.
This function was added a while back.
Duplicate as dependent.
:beer: Cheers