PDA

View Full Version : worksets from zero projects

iffans
2005-05-06, 08:13 AM
Hi. I'm still learning about worksets. Is it possible to create a worksets from a zero project? I mean we haven't have a drawing at all yet. Then we divide the drawing task to each person in our team. When each of them finish their job, they sent their drawing to the "moderator" who will manage the drawing to it's location. What do you think? Is there any insertion point, like in AutoCAD, in worksets?

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-05-06, 04:36 PM
Are you talking about worksets or linked projects?

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-06, 04:51 PM
It sounds like you don't really understand worksets yet. A project becomes a workset project when you enable the feature by Choosing File | Worksets or clicking the puzzle icon on the workset toolbar.

Once the project is workset enabled everything in the project is a workset or part of a workset. Use a library as a metaphor for worksets. The project central file (what Revit calls a workset enabled project) is the library. Each user makes a copy of the central file to work in. From each local file users borrow worksets or individual elements, "books" (doors, windows, walls, families) from the library. Each user does work with, "reads" these borrowed "books" and then returns them by using Save To Central.

Users do not work on separate projects and then reference them or link them as you might in an AutoCAD environment. Unless you are actually referring to linking buildings into a site project to assemble a campus plan. This is a completely different issue and only involves worksets if you happen to also enable them in the building or site projects.

You owe it to yourself to study the help documentation on these features.

JamesVan
2005-05-09, 12:43 PM
Right on Steve. I think iffans needs to understand that what you're doing in Revit is modeling, not drawing. You cannot approach Revit as a new tool to augment your current process. You must think about (here it comes again...) a paradigm shift.

From experience, using Revit on projects shifts the team organization from drawing tasks to modeling or component tasks. Typically, you would divide the building up into logical parts (See this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17126)) then you might assign your team to some of those parts. The team members also tend to fall into working categories covering either modeling, drafting or family creation (library).

Don't try to make Revit a replacement for your drafting methodologies. I hope this helps a bit.