PDA

View Full Version : derived assembly files

ebmanne
2005-05-25, 11:21 PM
When using a derived assembly to create a new part by applying a boolean subtraction (inventors version of it anyway), you have your new part file, there is still the base assembly file left over. After you have absolutely positively finished editing the parent file for the last time, and you break the link to the parent file, can it be safely deleted with out causing any problems with the new derived part or will deleting it cause a file resolution problem like it does if you delete the parent file without breaking the link.
If anyone knows, it will save me from destroying my part files, or if there is a better solution I would appreciate it, so I can clean up my IPT's

Ron Oldenbeuving
2005-05-27, 09:43 AM
I believe in all honesty that you should have no problems once the link has been broke with deleting the parent assembly or the ipt files associated within it.

I did a quick experiment to find out(Inventor 10), and had no problems with the final ipt even though I deleted the parent assembly and its components completely from the hard drive. Try it yourself with a quick mock-up if you're not too sure.

ebmanne
2005-05-28, 01:41 PM
When I get up enough nerve to I'll give it a try but I have to get my "Harrie Karrie" knife sharpened first. Has anyone calculated the amount of lost productivity due to beating one's head against the wall when things don't work in Inventor the way we think they should. It might make a good poll. Thanks.