PDA

View Full Version : RAM anyone?

david_peterson
2005-06-09, 01:38 PM
Was Autodesk able to get an agreement with RAM?
I heard that their may have been talks, but haven't seen any info.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-09, 07:28 PM
the Dope I got was that eventually it will be compatible in the future, the current release is not.

I heard that their may have been talks, but haven't seen any info.

david_peterson
2005-06-09, 07:43 PM
Well looks like I'll be back in a year.
Thanks

cosmickingpin
2005-06-09, 08:15 PM
No, I was informed it would be a lot sooner than that, like some time in the fall. I do feel your pain and I am more than a little dissapointed, but the reason for the hold up is all on RAM

Well looks like I'll be back in a year.
Thanks

david_peterson
2005-06-09, 08:43 PM
I tend to think it's a little more political than that.
RAM and Bently just released their answer to Revit Structure about 1 month ago. I'm thinking that there was most likely some agreement between them so they try to get ahead of the market. At the same time RAM is also selling it's RAM Cad Studio along with ADT link.
Ram Cad is a cool program, it's just not that compatable.
ADT link works great, but only one way, and you have to deal with display setting and styles, but at least it creates ADT objects as apposed to Cad Studio that create uneditable OLE objects, that can't even be moved with out having the program install on your machine.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-09, 08:53 PM
Well, I would say that your information is pretty close to what I heard. I am just trying to be careful about what I say here. Can you confirm this FK?

RAM and Bently just released their answer to Revit Structure about 1 month ago. I'm thinking that there was most likely some agreement between them so they try to get ahead of the market. At the same time RAM is also selling it's RAM Cad Studio along with ADT link.
ADT link works great, but only one way, and you have to deal with display setting and styles, but at least it creates ADT objects as apposed to Cad Studio that create uneditable OLE objects, that can't even be moved with out having the program install on your machine.

Wes Macaulay
2005-06-09, 10:17 PM
I don't get the sense that there's anything political about it. If RAM is on the ADN network (and I believe that's what was said), then Nicolas and all the other Revit Structure guys will work with them to get their product working with RS.

david_peterson
2005-06-10, 12:53 PM
Well here's the word from the cat's mouth.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?forumID=153&threadID=409435

The ball has just been bounced to a different court.

Wes Macaulay
2005-06-11, 01:39 PM
That's right. It's up to the analysis software vendors to decide if they want to work with Revit Structure.

pierregwt
2005-06-16, 05:26 PM

I am the programmer for RAM CADstudio and wanted to make a technical clarification. RAM CADstudio objects are implemented in ObjectARX, not OLE. In the words of Autodesk, "ObjectARX also allows the creation of custom objects, which are treated by AutoCAD in exactly the same way as native AutoCAD objects." ADT objects are also implemented in ObjectARX. ObjectARX objects do require an object enabler for proper viewing (otherwise, you just get proxy entities); the CADstudio object enabler is a small freely redistributable file and available for download from the RAM web site. Also, unlike RAM CADstudio, the Bentley structural product is not a RAM product.

Pierre

david_peterson
2005-06-16, 11:05 PM
I am the programmer for RAM CADstudio and wanted to make a technical clarification. RAM CADstudio objects are implemented in ObjectARX, not OLE. In the words of Autodesk, "ObjectARX also allows the creation of custom objects, which are treated by AutoCAD in exactly the same way as native AutoCAD objects." ADT objects are also implemented in ObjectARX. ObjectARX objects do require an object enabler for proper viewing (otherwise, you just get proxy entities); the CADstudio object enabler is a small freely redistributable file and available for download from the RAM web site. Also, unlike RAM CADstudio, the Bentley structural product is not a RAM product.

PierreSo there's an object enabler on RAM's web site that will allow me to move/modify objects created by RamCad studio with out having RamCad Studio installed?

That would be great. I've been trying to figure out what we were going to do. Our sister office is using it and they need help sometimes getting all the drafting done.

So can I contact you about when RAM will be able to work with Revit Structure?

pierregwt
2005-06-17, 04:04 AM
So there's an object enabler on RAM's web site that will allow me to move/modify objects created by RamCad studio with out having RamCad Studio installed?

That would be great. I've been trying to figure out what we were going to do. Our sister office is using it and they need help sometimes getting all the drafting done.

So can I contact you about when RAM will be able to work with Revit Structure?
Actually our object enabler was conceived with architects and other consultants in mind. It lets them view the framing as single lines in plan, and extruded shapes in 3d (proxies cannot change their representation with the view direction). We felt that engineers wouldn't want architects moving or resizing the framing (even when it's in the way), so the object enabler looks for a CADstudio license before letting you move a CADstudio object. There are also technical considerations: when you move a beam, CADstudio checks if its supports have changed, and if required, automatically adjusts the end connections and this was beyond what could be implemented with just the object enabler. We do offer a 50% discount on a second copy of CADstudio.

As to when RAM will work with Revit, I am just a programmer and not on the Revit project (the next release of CADstudio is quite a full time project). I would say give a call to RAM. We always like to hear from our users.

Steve_Bennett
2005-06-17, 04:42 AM
I heard that their may have been talks, but haven't seen any info.From the SCRUG meeting I just went to, someone pointed out that the single best way to get RAM to link with RS is to contact RAM (this goes for any other analytical package) & tell them how crucial it is for them to get on board NOW.

mikem.88744
2005-06-17, 03:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Just for the record, RAM is very interested in linking with Revit. I am not sure where all these rumors came from about RAM holding things up, but this is not the case. There are always details to be worked out... We hope to be able to move forward in the near future.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in RAM products and I can assure you that RAM is devoted to linking with all major platforms in use by our customers.

If anyone has any comments regarding integration and how they see utilizing Revit Structure in their design process along with RAM Products, I would be interested in hearing from you. As Steve said, 'call RAM'.

Best Regards,

Mike Markovitz
President
RAM International
800-726-7789

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-17, 05:19 PM
Just for the record, RAM is very interested in linking with Revit...
Thanks for clarifying your position! We look forward to seeing what you develop.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-18, 09:17 PM
Mike,
One simple and direct quesion.
When will Ram be compatible with Revit?

Hi Guys,
Just for the record, RAM is very interested in linking with Revit. I am not sure where all these rumors came from about RAM holding things up, but this is not the case. There are always details to be worked out... We hope to be able to move forward in the near future.
We sincerely appreciate your interest in RAM products and I can assure you that RAM is devoted to linking with all major platforms in use by our customers.
If anyone has any comments regarding integration and how they see utilizing Revit Structure in their design process along with RAM Products, I would be interested in hearing from you. As Steve said, 'call RAM'.

Best Regards,

Mike Markovitz
President
RAM International
800-726-7789

mikem.88744
2005-06-20, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately I do not have an answer at this moment. I will let you as soon as a timeframe has been established.

Thanks to those of you who contacted me. I appreciate your input.

Mike Markovitz
President
RAM International
mike@ramint.com
800-726-7789 ext 101