PDA

View Full Version : Worksets on a new project

jwilhelm
2005-06-12, 04:39 AM
Can anyone recommend a basic set of Worksets for a new residence that has worked successfully for them. This is my first multi-user project and I am not sure how to best subdivide the project.

funkman
2005-06-12, 04:47 AM
It will depend how you intend to use/organise the worksets, and how you intend other workers to work and integrate into the workset environment. I, for one, use

1. Model default - (everything except for the following)
2. Shared Levels and Grids default
3. Electrical (incl lights)
4. Furniture
5. Neighbours (filter them out after DA)
6. Site

For larger projects I would use an additional Internal workset and possibly different levels of the building, but not for small projects.

patricks
2005-06-12, 06:54 AM
We usually do:

Exterior walls
Interior walls
Doors & windows
Site

Sometimes we might also do a separate Structure group.

We do site on a separate one so that we can turn it off on floor plans (when using floor elements for site stuff).

We do doors and windows on a separate set because the person coordinating the door schedule needs it, and other people can be working on other stuff. It's usally our interior designer who does that stuff.

We do mostly small-to-medium sized commercial stuff, and this has worked pretty well.

Wes Macaulay
2005-06-12, 03:24 PM
Patrick, that's probably enough for most projects. For large projects, use worksets that break up into interior and exterior so that in elevations you can turn off the interior worksets. For a house there is little need to have a doors and windows workset separately, but do have one and use it for doors and windows if more than one user is on the project during the day.

Having a separate workset for doors and another for windows allows users working on schedules to sign out the workset, getting control of all doors and windows so you don't have to Make Elements Editable while you're working on the schedule all the time. This is a temporary problem since in future versions of Revit the plan is to dispense with the Make Elements Editable dialog and only come back to you if someone else has the object signed out.