PDA

View Full Version : material flipping

J-G
2004-01-10, 12:05 AM
I have noticed that materials seem to fip on curved surfaces. I am having this problem with some swooped roofs, and with a turret that has a sweeped profile as for a stone veneer. I am a novice and don't know how to fix this.

marcumjohnson1743
2004-01-10, 07:11 AM
Its been a long time issue with barrel roofs also.
Suggest bringing it up to support and requesting a fix.

Archman
2004-01-10, 03:09 PM
Its been a long time issue with barrel roofs also.
Suggest bringing it up to support and requesting a fix.

I agree completely. Try doing a standing seam material on a barrell vault roof. It's almost impossible to get the seam spacing right.

J-G
2004-01-10, 05:46 PM
Is there any work around at all? I have a project that I am going to need to render and it is full of roof swoops, and veneers like the one I posted.

Archman
2004-01-10, 09:07 PM
The only workaround I can think of is to make a mnaterial that is rotated 90 degrees from what you show in your picture. You would have to do this for each material you have assigned to a curved object.

J-G
2004-01-12, 05:12 AM
I created a new material with the orientation flipped, and this works for my swooped roofs...but what can be done about conical roofs? I don't even know where to start with this one! Surely someone has came up with a solution?
http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1175

gregcashen
2004-01-12, 05:37 AM
i would try re-modelling the conical roof as a normal roof by footprint and then make the footprint a n-gon (where n is a number above, say, 50 (this can be accomplished fairly easily by radial arraying, etc.)) Set all of the segments as slope defining and give them a large slope, say 36:12, or whatever mathces your roof. Then all of the sloping roof segments should map properly. i think. Worth a try...it really doesn't take as long as it sounds. If you do enough segments, you won't notice the tesselation, it will render faster, and it will approximate how it will be framed anyway (i assume, unless it is a pre-built custom jobby)

J-G
2004-01-12, 07:39 AM
Greg,

I saw your example of a conical roof previously that was created this way. The thought crossed my mind, but I would still have the lower swooped eaves to contend with...I suppose I could create multiple sections of the sweep...but it seems a but messy - I guess I could play with it. Too bad the owner's don't want a slate roof with cool patterns :?

gregcashen
2004-01-12, 08:11 AM
You could still do it as a "circular sweep", but follow my advice with the n-gon and just make it a sweep with the profile set to show the compound slope you desire. I think it would still map correctly because it is not curved. Curved seems to cause the most problems with materials...

PeterJ
2004-01-12, 10:17 AM
Curved surfaces only cause the same problems in rendering that they cause in construction, that is not to say that we shouldn't use them but you need to remember that revit has no way of interpreting haw you want the slates cut to form the radius, unless you define that. It seems to try and do a best fit solution.

Archman
2004-01-12, 04:48 PM
I think you may be right Peter. Maybe one way to fix this would be to segment the curves.

sbrown
2004-01-12, 05:35 PM
I would use a diff. material on the conical roof, just the texture, then add some linework in photoshop to clean up the image.

J-G
2004-01-13, 12:20 AM
Good enough. I remodeled the roof using a sweep instead of a revolution. I would have just touched it up in Photo as Scott recomended, but it probably would have taken me longer to figure out howto do it.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1185

gregcashen
2004-01-13, 12:29 AM
Looks good!

J-G
2004-01-13, 12:39 AM
I just found somthing that works pretty slick. At the bottom of the turret we have a stone veneer (also curved), I had the same problem with the material fliping, but found that you can also simply edit the path (in this case a half circle, and then split it. It seems that in this case Revit doesn't care if the line is circular or straight as long as it is segmented...I don't know if it would work for the turrets, but it works for the veneer.

sbrown
2004-01-13, 01:31 AM
Nice tip. Whats really strange is that prior to 5.0 materials rendered fine on curved surfaces, then I re-rendered a job in 5.0 or 5.1 and all the curved walls had the material rotate, it was awful.

Scott D Davis
2004-01-13, 02:14 AM
Looks good!

and buildable!

PeterJ
2004-01-13, 08:43 AM
Smart little rendering, Jon.

J-G
2004-01-14, 03:55 AM
Thanks Peter,

I will be posting my "first" rendering to this newsgroup when the project is finished. This is one of the first full large projects I have done in Revit, and I must say the model is looking pretty amazing. I am lucky enough to have a project that must go before a design review board...this means there is a good excuse to do some nice renderings :wink: