PDA

View Full Version : Humor with CAD Drawings?

MMccomb
2005-06-15, 01:15 PM
Has any body ever thrown in anything funny into their drawings?
One of my last projects had a great site plan including roads. I snuck in the dukes of hazard car being chased by a cop down one of the highways.

I also hid my name in the grill of the car. Pretty fun to do.

Civil Samurai
2005-06-15, 06:46 PM
I've added my name into a couple projects where we did visualizations for the client.....you know, snuck into the shadows or hidden in a trees...that type of thing. It's somehow amusing.

The first attachment shows the tree from a slight distance.....the second is enhanced to show the text. On the full scale (48"x36") print out it was almost impossible to see unless you knew it was there.

Mike

Wanderer
2005-06-15, 06:54 PM

[moderator mode = on] if someone doesn't post an example drawing, I'm going to have to move this from the gallery to the cwc... [moderator mode = off]

Damo
2005-06-15, 10:26 PM
7 Years ago, just after my son was born, I was working on house that was going to be shown on the television. As designers, I was liaising with a 3D visualization company who were commissioned to do some fly-throughs.

I got the CAD operator to place a picture of my son in a picture frame placed on a bookshelf.

Granted, not many people knew he was there, but my wife & I knew my son was seen on the BBC by 6m viewers.

(Memo: Must apply for his equity / actor guild card)

MMccomb
2005-06-21, 11:42 AM
C'mon people, Can't tell me nobody hasn't done anything interesting to project drawings.
Your employer isn't browsing this forum =-) Post some pics and stories!

ctohill
2005-10-24, 08:27 PM
Though I didn't do it in Autocad. Nearly 15 years ago, I was working for Eli Lilly Co. in their Plant Engineering and Maintenance department. Was doing some revisions on some hand drawn (aaahhh...anyone remember how to do that?!!) and one of the rooms was called the Mutagen Room. Mutagen being the stuff from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that created the turtles. Well, out there in the vast files of Lilly, there is a little TMNT head drawn next to that room.

Wanderer
2005-10-24, 08:30 PM
Though I didn't do it in Autocad. Nearly 15 years ago, I was working for Eli Lilly Co. in their Plant Engineering and Maintenance department. Was doing some revisions on some hand drawn (aaahhh...anyone remember how to do that?!!) and one of the rooms was called the Mutagen Room. Mutagen being the stuff from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that created the turtles. Well, out there in the vast files of Lilly, there is a little TMNT head drawn next to that room.too funny. when I was in college, they had the sample files up on the server, but, they weren't read-only. There were telephones sitting on desks, and a little screen for like caller id, and I put... erm, something funny in there, I don't quite recall what, though... that was a while ago...

jaberwok
2005-10-24, 09:26 PM
You can always trust students. :?

tlewald
2005-10-25, 11:19 AM
we use to write short stories about our boss in the smallest possible font and place it under the node of some proposed grade spot.

I wonder if anyone ever found and read those!

hofe_design
2005-10-25, 11:45 AM
I do visuals of offices and on one of the computer screens in the distance i put a nude picture on it. It was not visible until you zoomed far enough into the drawing. I guess it was never found as i still have my job :)

robert.1.hall72202
2005-10-25, 12:39 PM
I had a power point presentation that I put together. I didn't want the drawing numbers in my powerpoint slides so I changed them to USUCKERS, UDOOMAYS, and ULAMOO.

Had to make sure when I gave my presentation that people were actually paying attention.

I also made the company line read Acme paper factory.

macwizzy06
2005-10-25, 03:35 PM
I did a hand perspective of our drawing studio. Earlier my boss warned about using his pix on any drawings, so I did my girlfriend's pix on a side wall. He thought it was nice till she visited the office and he insisted they'd met before.

checkpost100
2005-10-25, 08:43 PM
Kitchen in the space

and

Golden Sky of kitchen’s suburbs

mead1
2005-10-27, 03:56 PM
some sections i did a while ago :)

Wanderer
2005-10-27, 04:49 PM
some sections i did a while ago :)SPILK. I never would have paid any attention to those. lol... nice.

aledtaylor79401
2005-10-31, 10:29 AM
I designed a piece of in-house test equipment that had its switches and sockets arranged as a smiley face. I also arranged for it to have 8 hardwired leads attached to it and called it ‘Octopus’.

I fully expected it to be picked up in the authorisation stage but it wasn’t. Neither was it picked up in manufacturing!

We now have a test box that definitely raises the spirits of the technicians who use it.

Aled Taylor
Design Engineer

Spectrefish
2005-11-02, 05:18 PM
C'mon people, Can't tell me nobody hasn't done anything interesting to project drawings.
Your employer isn't browsing this forum =-) Post some pics and stories!Someone that used to work here many years ago was stealing drawings from this company to create his own tool shop. He was fired. His father was one of the vice presidents of the company at the time and for several years after.

Well, years and many drafters later, here I am the CAD Manager. I'm going through all of our old drawings, archiving and such and I'm finding a layer on all his drawings named with his initials. After unfreezing this layer, up pops his tool shop company logo over the top of our company logo.

For some bizzarro reason my company buys product from his booming tool shop business and now he is a very rich man......hey, I'm not the boss.

Anyway, there is a maintenance guy who works here that was married to this guy's sister for a short time and has many stories to tell about this previous drafter. I discovered that a nickname was placed on this fellow some drunken night long ago and it stuck. The guy hates it with a passion. It happens to be Captain America. So the maintenance guy and I put our heads together and came up with a dirty trick to play. We know that he is really the only one who knows CAD at his company so he gets all the drawings. Well, using his "special layer" we attach a very large raster image of captain America right over the top of the drawings that we need to send his way then freeze the layer. He will no doubt see that it is a huge file size and wonder why.:veryevil:

Haven't gotten any nasty calls yet though.....bummer.

mead1
2005-11-02, 06:21 PM
I designed a piece of in-house test equipment that had its switches and sockets arranged as a smiley face. I also arranged for it to have 8 hardwired leads attached to it and called it ‘Octopus’.

I fully expected it to be picked up in the authorisation stage but it wasn’t. Neither was it picked up in manufacturing!

We now have a test box that definitely raises the spirits of the technicians who use it.

Aled Taylor
Design Engineer
niiiice!
dontcha just HATE it when people have FUN at work!!! :)

jaberwok
2005-11-02, 08:34 PM
You don't even need CAD.
Years ago, when computers where kept in air-conditioned rooms a group of us produced some "unusual" drawings.
One was a 3 view drawing of a fuel pipe assembly. It looked fine but, when made to the stated dimensions, the start and end locations were in the same place.
Another was a square plate with a round hole. The plate was toleranced -/- and the hole +/+. The finished part would have been just the four corners.
and so on........

aledtaylor79401
2005-11-03, 12:47 PM
One of my colleges drew a square plate with three holes in it for mounting a circular component.

He had the bright idea of extending the holes into curved slots to allow adjustment.

He then had the bright idea of extending the slots further so they joined up. This would allow the circular component to be mounted at any angle.

Some time later a machinist came into the office holding two pieces of metal. He was wondering why the middle had fallen out of the plate.

Aled Taylor
Design Engineer

Kevin B
2005-11-04, 02:17 PM
I like to have Homer Simpson make an appearance whenever possible, here he is riding in an elevator in section. I keep him on defpoints so only the other caddies and I can see him, this way the higher ups don't realize there actually paying me to have fun.

BrenBren
2005-11-04, 03:13 PM
I like to have Homer Simpson make an appearance whenever possible, here he is riding in an elevator in section. I keep him on defpoints so only the other caddies and I can see him, this way the higher ups don't realize there actually paying me to have fun.
very :cool:

robert.1.hall72202
2005-11-04, 10:17 PM
One of my colleges drew a square plate with three holes in it for mounting a circular component.

He had the bright idea of extending the holes into curved slots to allow adjustment.

He then had the bright idea of extending the slots further so they joined up. This would allow the circular component to be mounted at any angle.

Some time later a machinist came into the office holding two pieces of metal. He was wondering why the middle had fallen out of the plate.

Aled Taylor
Design Engineer

I am having a hard time believing this one........gee, I wonder why? ROTFL

checkpost100
2005-11-18, 08:59 PM
No comments

jaberwok
2005-11-18, 09:28 PM
Contact Jen if you want a distributor for that.

:-)

Chris.N
2005-11-30, 09:46 PM
I had almost every farm animal behind the wheel of the autos in a mall rendering... it was too many cars in the lot so they all went byby. You could see most of them, too! had to look close tho, never did save that one.:(

Kroke
2005-12-01, 08:49 AM
My old room mate and I did a 3d animation of a 145k sf commercial building. When we processed the several flyby's there was one that went through the underground parking lot and around the corner were 2 muscle cars parked, I had a Plymouth 'Cuda and he had his Camero. In front of the cars were 3d labels we made that said "This parking space reserved for:" and then our names. The ****** thing is that in the final animation in the 'video tour' link that is displayed at www.themeridian.biz never made it and ended up on the cutting room floor. It was soooo close too, only 3 more seconds and it would have been there :( I guess the guy who processed all the raw images into the video didn't like it. Oh well.

aaronlogan
2005-12-02, 01:10 AM
This was on the defpoints layer

jaberwok
2005-12-02, 09:43 AM

:lol: That's not nice.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-12-05, 02:57 PM

That is my laugh for the day..........I used to draw stuff like that when
I was in grade school.

wspier
2005-12-06, 02:42 PM
One of my last projects had a great site plan including roads. I snuck in the dukes of hazard car being chased by a cop down one of the highways.

I also hid my name in the grill of the car. Pretty fun to do.
I used to put smley faces inside the gas burners on the stoves in the kitchen plans for Nordstrom stores. It made them look like smiling daisies.

Another time I drew a shark in a grease vault interceptor, and just before I could finish plotting it and delete the critter, someone else in the office emailed the file to the architect. We called the architect and told them the file was corrupted and told them to delete it and we sent it again.

But the worst was when I was typing too fast (in R12, before ACAD had spell check) and tried to type "FIRE SHUTTER" (an older term for fire damper). Suffice it to say the "U" key is next to the "I" key, and yes it went out the door for bid that way, undetected. Several contractors submitted RFI's with their bid, wanting to know where they could acquire such an item. I didn't lose my job, because I was brand new and clearly it was an accident. But I was the laughnig stock of the office and several other firms involved in the project. I heard numerous copies were made of that plan.

aledtaylor79401
2005-12-06, 03:38 PM
I am having a hard time believing this one........gee, I wonder why? ROTFL

I don't have any supporting evidence for the curved slot story as much time has passed.

I can at least attach a photo of the Octopus test set to confirm this story.

Aled Taylor
Design Enginner

Chris.N
2005-12-07, 02:48 PM
Don't you hate when your plan's stare back at you? (this was unintentional...)

robert.1.hall72202
2005-12-07, 05:57 PM
But the worst was when I was typing too fast (in R12, before ACAD had spell check) and tried to type "FIRE SHUTTER" (an older term for fire damper). Suffice it to say the "U" key is next to the "I" key, and yes it went out the door for bid that way, undetected. Several contractors submitted RFI's with their bid, wanting to know where they could acquire such an item. I didn't lose my job, because I was brand new and clearly it was an accident. But I was the laughnig stock of the office and several other firms involved in the project. I heard numerous copies were made of that plan.

That is my laugh for the day!! You should take all the credit for that one. No need to appologize and/or fix it. We all need a laugh sometimes!

arteng
2005-12-22, 09:10 PM
Back in the late 80's, one of my fellow AutoCAD designers would type 'Ollie' as an attribute on all the north arrows he was submitting to the department of transportation. As in 'Ollie North' arrows. The DOT reviewers got a kick out of it, but asked us kindly to stop...

We also had to label all proposed right-of -ways 'Dedicated to Public Use'. Of course we always typed 'pubic'. Childish, but funny to read the review comments...

Maverick91
2005-12-22, 10:42 PM
Back in the late 80's, one of my fellow AutoCAD designers would type 'Ollie' as an attribute on all the north arrows he was submitting to the department of transportation. As in 'Ollie North' arrows. The DOT reviewers got a kick out of it, but asked us kindly to stop...

We also had to label all proposed right-of -ways 'Dedicated to Public Use'. Of course we always typed 'pubic'. Childish, but funny to read the review comments...They're just typos, right? Why all the fuss? ;-)

sschwartz85916
2005-12-30, 04:35 PM
A few of my favorites:
PLEASE REMOVE CONTRACTOR FROM LADIES TOILET ROOM (Contactor is misspelled)
MECHANICAL LOVER (Tag calling out a LOUVER)

jakob_k
2006-01-09, 08:01 PM
the best that occured in this company (not by me) was when a drafter placed a rabbit looking over some duct work (one sheet only). Approx. one year later when a final inspection was being made, above the ceiling was a flat piece of metal (cut with snips) attached to the duct work. the rabbit gets the last laugh.

sgoodmansen
2006-02-06, 05:46 PM
7 years ago when I first started working in the architecture Industry I was asked to do a night rendering for a grocery store for a major coporate chain. After doing the rendering I did a second one from a different angle which placed the grocery store on the moon with the earth rising in the background. My supervisor like it so much he sent it to his contact at the Grocery Store's corporate office along with the real rendering. Last year while visiting the corporate office for the first time, word got around that I was the one who did the rendering. I heard how much some people like it and made copies for their cubicles, until one day upper management saw it, and told everybody to take them down.

(I blurred the signage in this copy to protect the not so innocent...me)

jaberwok
2006-02-06, 07:45 PM
If your clients were smart they would built a campaign around that.

Nice one.

checkpost100
2006-02-07, 02:34 PM
To: sgoodmansen

Ya-ya.
I remember.
This satellite took this picture.

sschwartz85916
2006-07-20, 01:14 AM
:lol:
This is one of the funniest things I have ever made... and only here, will it be appreciated

Railrose
2006-07-20, 01:39 AM
This is one of the funniest things I have ever made... and only here, will it be appreciated
Lots of neat ideas.

jaberwok
2006-07-20, 11:59 AM

I like it.

.chad
2006-07-20, 01:34 PM
best.
thread.
ever.

http://www.bonjovi.de/forum/images/smilies/buttrock.gif

H-Angus
2006-07-20, 01:54 PM
best.
thread.
ever.

What on earth is that smiley supposed to be? and whys the monkey pointing at it? :wink:

sschwartz85916
2006-07-20, 03:20 PM
best.
thread.
ever.

thank.
you.
dude.

The VLG
2006-07-21, 03:36 PM
Heres a couple that I have in a current project. We use a lot of topo surveys for highway work & well sometimes you cant resist.

C&I has a cowboy & indian theme & croc has a crocodile in a pond

Rico
2006-08-10, 07:23 PM
some sections i did a while ago :)\
That's hilarious!

Rico
2006-08-10, 07:25 PM
I'm gonna pass that around my office, if ya don't mind. A bit too much like my workplace here. haha

projectdesign4444
2006-08-10, 08:51 PM
i sold my client my pets and he did not know it , i i did this by adding background of pictures of my animals to his 3d yard

Wanderer
2006-08-11, 12:20 AM
i sold my client my pets and he did not know it , i i did this by adding background of pictures of my animals to his 3d yard:lol: that's cool.

SCUSA
2006-08-14, 07:03 PM
Before leaving one of my previous employers, I modified the AutoCAD blocks and LISP routine so that any "wall hung" items were now "WELL hung" items. :) All of the schedules and reports print out with the "typo". I have kept in touch with a few people that are still there, and nobody has figured out how to fix this "typo". They have to manually modify each instance, so every now and then, one slips through the cracks. I still giggle when I think of it.

Railrose
2006-08-14, 07:09 PM
Before leaving one of my previous employers, I modified the AutoCAD blocks and LISP routine so that any "wall hung" items were now "WELL hung" items. :) All of the schedules and reports print out with the "typo". I have kept in touch with a few people that are still there, and nobody has figured out how to fix this "typo". They have to manually modify each instance, so every now and then, one slips through the cracks. I still giggle when I think of it.
That's funny. I've never messed with anyone else's drawings like that, but have never left a drafting job on bad terms.

norrin
2006-08-15, 04:59 PM
This may be lame comparatively but we had a major project being held up by a gopher tortoise. Royal pain in the assets. On all our site plans we had to show the things burrow. I made a little smiling turtle on the dwg that just showed up as a dot on the plots.

I made a lisp routine to cuss out somebody one time with spinning flashing text, that was funny.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-08-16, 08:21 PM
I made a lisp routine to cuss out somebody one time with spinning flashing text, that was funny.

That would be hilarious and make somebody whooping :-x

sschwartz85916
2006-08-18, 02:21 AM
I'm gonna pass that around my office, if ya don't mind. A bit too much like my workplace here. haha
hahaha feel free to do so! i laugh EVERY time i look at it

rmcdaniel
2016-11-21, 04:55 PM
Many moons ago I worked for a company that did material handling conveyors (primarily coal mining). It was common to insert various blocks of a 6 ft human figure to next to the structures to get a sense of size and proportion and we had a bunch of them, various representations of men wearing hard hats, holding clipboards, with a pointing gesture, etc.

On one occasion, somebody modified the figure of a man standing at the head end of a conveyor so that he appeared to be urinating off the head pulley, and small drops of water were shown bouncing and cascading down the length of the inclined conveyor. "In house", it was pretty funny, but he forgot to erase it and prints were sent to the client still including the modified figure!

Actually, the client thought it was funny as well, and he called the owner to jokingly ask, "Hey, shouldn't we have a "moisture resistant" belt on that main loadout conveyor?" The owner, a VERY professional engineer had NO idea what he was talking about and replied, "There's no need for moisture protection, the material is dry, and the conveyor has hoods to protect against rain, so why would we add that expense?"

The client, (still VERY tongue-in-cheek) continued to ask, "Yeah, but what about that guy peeing down the belt???"

The owner pulled the original drawings to see what the heck the client was talking about and nearly had an aneurysm when he saw the added detail!

Now, as an "old school" engineer, you obviously didn't mess with his drawings in any way, and he threatened to fire the person with initials in "dwn by", "chkd by" and generally anybody who had even touched the drawing. His chief engineer persuaded him to let it go, (especially since the client apparently saw the humor it it) and nobody got fired, but we all learned a valuable lesson... If you're going to "add a funny", be DARNED sure you remove it before drawings left the office!

tbonebanjo229101
2016-12-20, 09:04 PM
In days of yore, I instructed an ESOL draftsman to copy the toilet room from the first floor to the second. I kept telling him he had to think and read the notes, etc. There was a wall hydrant at the end of the chase which he copied neatly to the second floor. On my next review, I marked up "provide ladder for wall hydrant at second floor" which naturally he copied verbatum onto the plans. During construction I got into a heated debate with the plumber about something or other that he said he wanted to get paid extra for, so I told him to give us a credit for the ladder.

Now on every project I add a spiritual message hidden in the floor elevation symbol, along with my name and the year I designed it.

mcantwell.166211
2017-01-01, 02:56 AM
I have done all kinds of funny things in AutoCAD drawings of plan view of streets and street maps. Of course, the cars on the road, usually fast sport cars. At the dead end of a street with aerial imagery was a cemetery. A project coordinator ticked me off and I put a few cross tombstones to note the cemetery. If you zoom in real close, you'll see his name on one of the cross tombstones. He has since found religion and changed his ways. Originally drawn in ink on Mylar and later vectorized by an outside company were two things. One, in an open area of a street map I put a herd of wild horses running across the acreage with their manes in the wind. The other was a piece of land in the city park like a small island and I put a guy with a beach chair sipping a mixed drink (with a tiny umbrella in the drink) sitting under a beach umbrella. On my own time as an experiment I traced Garfield the cat in AutoCAD and filled in his colors and later put him in a drawing. I put a small snapshot of Sylvester the cat in another project. In a set of plans for our utility to be installed to our city's hospital, I put a guy in casts in a hospital bed on the plans. The drawing is from the Internet, but the plans are only for "in house" for us, a permit, and for our contractor.