PDA

View Full Version : How to evaluate subscription?

eclipse1995gsx
2005-06-15, 05:47 PM
Kinda new here so, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.

How does one evaluate the subcription program? You know - if i should get on board with it or not. Is it really cheaper? I like new stuff but also like to npt have to deal with change akll that much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wanderer
2005-06-15, 05:49 PM
Kinda new here so, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.

How does one evaluate the subcription program? You know - if i should get on board with it or not. Is it really cheaper? I like new stuff but also like to npt have to deal with change akll that much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
do take note of the shortcuts at the bottom of this thread 'Similar Threads' which might provide you with some helpful information. :) (bmyers, is this your cue? :mrgreen: )

Steve_Bennett
2005-06-15, 06:16 PM
Last saturday's dilbert (6/11/05) was rather funny. It went something like this:

Sales (S) person come to sell dibert (D) the latest version of software.
S: Our new version is a step backward in quality and reliability. We're counting on your irrational need to have the latest version of every software product.
D: I hate your weasel guts... but I'll take one for the home & one for the office.

That being said, fortunately, Autodesk is always raising the bar on their products. In short, my opinion is that it is worth it. Only MS would dare do the above. hehehe.

michael.12445
2005-06-15, 11:32 PM
Last saturday's dilbert (6/11/05) was rather funny. It went something like this:

Sales (S) person come to sell dibert (D) the latest version of software.
S: Our new version is a step backward in quality and reliability. We're counting on your irrational need to have the latest version of every software product.
D: I hate your weasel guts... but I'll take one for the home & one for the office.

That being said, fortunately, Autodesk is always raising the bar on their products. In short, my opinion is that it is worth it. Only MS would dare do the above. hehehe.

Uh, not quite. Those of us who purchased the "upgrade" to R2002 found that the Express Tools, included with R2000 and 2000i, had been removed. That is, Autodesk took functionality away from the product and then labeled it an "upgrade." They did this so that they could sell you the Express Tools as a separate product, for more money. If you were using AutoCAD and participating in discussions like these, you may remember the uproar over "Where did the Express Tools go?" It got so bad that Autodesk eventually put the Express tools back into the product.

Michael Evans

Steve_Bennett
2005-06-16, 04:11 AM
Uh, not quite. Those of us who purchased the "upgrade" to R2002 found that the Express Tools, included with R2000 and 2000i, had been removed. That is, Autodesk took functionality away from the product and then labeled it an "upgrade." They did this so that they could sell you the Express Tools as a separate product, for more money. If you were using AutoCAD and participating in discussions like these, you may remember the uproar over "Where did the Express Tools go?" It got so bad that Autodesk eventually put the Express tools back into the product.

Michael Evans2002 was the one version I skipped. So, unfortunately, I didn't know about this. All the versions I've been involved with had express tools with the software for free. They also haven't added anything to them since 2002.

stilesj
2005-06-16, 12:16 PM
Your reseller should be able to provide you with a cost of ownership comparison between upgrades versus subscription. I looked at that but also ran some numbers myself and found that subscription saved us a good bit of money, compared to upgrade costs every year or every other year. The upgrades probably wouldn't get cheaper unless you only planned to upgrade every four or five years (but by then, you probably couldn't upgrade and would have to buy new).
HTH

Brian Myers
2005-06-16, 12:28 PM
do take note of the shortcuts at the bottom of this thread 'Similar Threads' which might provide you with some helpful information. :) (bmyers, is this your cue? :mrgreen: )

Oooohhhhh.... have you got that right.... my topic of choice and for very good reason...

Brian Myers
2005-06-16, 01:00 PM
Is it really cheaper? I like new stuff but also like to npt have to deal with change akll that much.

This is really a personal decision based on how you and/or your office functions. You'll hear some people say "YES! It's worth it!" and others say "NO! It's not!" and likely they would both be correct.

I use what I call the "Seven Year Rule" but it may vary depending on the reseller and which version of AutoCAD you use. First thing you do is find the cost of the program you are interested in. This may be AutoCAD or it may be one of the vertical products (Architectural Desktop, Civil 3D, etc.) Next, find the cost of the Subscription program on a yearly basis. These costs will change as time goes on, but it will give you a nice ballpark idea that shouldn't effect the end result of this formula.

Cost of AutoCAD divided by Cost of the Subscription Program. = # of Years to Equal the cost of one seat of AutoCAD.

In my case it's 6.5 years or so and I round it to 7 years as AutoCAD only comes out once each year. In other words, if you plan on upgrading your product more often than once every 7 years then it's worth the price you pay for the Subscription program.

Pretty easy, huh? Upgrade at least every 7 years (or whatever the formula indicates for you) then you should get on the subscription program. Otherwise it's not worth the money for you.

No one will argue with you that release R14 was not as good as Release 2006. It wasn't. In this example the Subscription program would likely have been beneficial for you in terms of production increases, etc. But if you only use it for basic functions and general day to day drafting then perhaps R14 was good enough for you. If that's the case then the subscription program wouldn't have been worth the money for you.

In short (in a very long way) the only answer is it depends on you. You need to weigh first just how often you believe an upgrade would be beneficial for you. Then you need to use the cost of a full version vs. price of subscription formula to find out your time of cost return of Subscription vs. Full Version. Compare these numbers... If the formula says you would save money then get on Subscription. If it doesn't then don't.

Finally: Productivity benefits and the ability to work easier with files from outside sources are other factors you need to take into consideration when you estimate how often you will likely upgrade over the next few years. This isn't an exact science... the best thing you can do is use your own experience from the past few years and think this: "Based on my past experience and where I feel my company is going will I need more than I currently have X many years from now?" Once that's determined compare that to the numbers provided by your formula. That's your answer.

Ohh... almost forgot... just because you are on the subscription program doesn't mean you have to upgrade your product. It just means when you do decide to install your next version of AutoCAD you can. They'll send you the CD's each year, but you'll only install the versions you want to install.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-06-16, 01:02 PM