PDA

View Full Version : Samba Shares

clayway.69266
2005-06-22, 03:25 AM
I currently have been using a linux samba share for all revit 6/7 workset central models. All works great. No problems. After upgrading to Revit 8, the STC and any make editable on individual or multiple elements takes roughly 30 minutes. After doing some investigation and hair pulling, I created a share on an XP Pro workstation, moved the central file there, created new local files and tried to STC and make elements editable. After a few test runs with multiple team members, everything seems to work quickly again with the central file on an XP workstation...not server.

So my question is...what changed....why the major performance drop on a linux samba server vs. a plain vanilla XP workstation?

We have also experienced on both platforms, with multiple users, that users.dat file is being accessed and it hangs the local file.

Why have you now included four different *.dat files that are found in the backup directory of the central model and the local model backup directory?

What is the purpose of these files? they are not there in Revit 7 Workset Models.

I have made different settings to my smb.conf file on my samba server and will do further testing tomorrow, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Clay Kinney
HH Architects

FK
2005-06-22, 03:54 AM
These are well-put questions, but this is not the right place to ask them. Send them to revitsupport@autodesk.com, and they will end up with the appropriate developer.

clayway.69266
2005-06-22, 12:12 PM
These are well-put questions, but this is not the right place to ask them. Send them to revitsupport@autodesk.com, and they will end up with the appropriate developer.

We currently have an open support request on this very issue. We are waiting on the developers for some feed back.

Thanks

aaronrumple
2005-06-22, 12:33 PM
We have the same issue with Novell... Things came to a crawl and we had to put the central file on a workstation.

clayway.69266
2005-06-22, 01:43 PM
We have the same issue with Novell... Things came to a crawl and we had to put the central file on a workstation.

Thanks for the reply Aaron. Have you ever gotten a solution to work with Novell? and also is it a Netware server or a Novell Suse Server...just curious.....

Did you have any problems with R6/7??

Thanks

aaronrumple
2005-06-22, 01:46 PM
Netware. We thought it might be something other than the network OS. However we've exclude all other possibilities. As soon as I get this current project out the door, I'll be going to support.