PDA

View Full Version : How do I close the file *without* saving changes?

iru69
2005-06-22, 08:53 PM
I've opened a file with worksets enabled. I opend all the worksets, etc. and made them editable by me. I made some changes. But I decided I don't want to keep the changes - I want to close the file without saving the changes.

When I go to close the file, I get "Save to Central", "Relinquish and Save", "Don't Relinquish", and "Cancel".

There's nothing along the lines of "Relinquish and Lose Changes".

How do I close the file *without* saving changes?

bowlingbrad
2005-06-22, 09:09 PM
I've opened a file with worksets enabled. I opend all the worksets, etc. and made them editable by me. I made some changes. But I decided I don't want to keep the changes - I want to close the file without saving the changes.

When I go to close the file, I get "Save to Central", "Relinquish and Save", "Don't Relinquish", and "Cancel".

There's nothing along the lines of "Relinquish and Lose Changes".

How do I close the file *without* saving changes?

Don't quote me on this one..
Select the "Don't Relinquish" then Revit will ask to save the local file. Say "No". A warning will come up saying your local file, if used again, will corrupt the data in the central file. Click "Ok". NOW MAKE A NEW LOCAL FILE FROM THE CENTRAL FILE. Very important step. The problem lies in your local file not being in sync anymore with the central file. Hey Factory, how'd I do?

iru69
2005-06-22, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the response bowlingbrad - but I'm not sure that nails it.

I selected "Don't Relinquish". Revit than asks if I want to save my changes. I select "No". It then closes the file. This is in fact what I have been doing the past several weeks.

But, since I didn't relinquish, all those items are still checked out by me. I didn't notice the potential problem of this because I was always the one who reopened the file. But this just became a problem when a different user tried to open the central file and was notified that everything was still checked out by me.

I understand that the other user can change their username to mine, open the file, relinquish and save, and then change their username back... but that's seems like an insane workaround... Am I missing something?

aaronrumple
2005-06-23, 12:14 AM
You can also use view workset history to roll back to a previous date - provided you have enabled enough backups.

You can open the central file (which doesn't have recent changes) Save this as a new local (losing changes in your current local file.) Saving to central will just check things back in as no changes have been recored ed in the new local file.

irwin
2005-06-23, 02:44 AM
Brad, you did fine :D

Irusun, the thing to keep in mind is that when you make something editable, that fact is recorded in the central file immediately, even before you save. This is necessary to prevent someone else from changing the same elements that you have changed in your session. When you decide to close your file without saving changes, the changes to editability have already been recorded in central. So, you are really trying to accomplish two things:
1) Close the file in session without saving any changes to the elements.
2) Relinquish everything in the central file.
Revit won't let you do 2 before you've done 1 -- it won't let you relinquish an element that you've changed, because it doesn't know that you don't want to keep that change. There is no command that will do 1 and 2 at the same time. So, you need to 1 and then 2 yourself.

To do 1, do as Brad suggested: "Don't Relinquish" and don't save when prompted. (You might or might not need to throw away the local file, depending on whether you've saved to central since the last time you saved local; it will tell you when you try to open the local file if it is no longer valid.)

To do 2 (after doing 1), open either the central or (new) local file, open the worksets dialog, display all the worksets (view, etc), and relinquish everything. (Or you can save, relinquishing everything.)

iru69
2005-06-23, 03:26 AM
Thanks all for the responses - now at least I know my options and I wasn't missing something simple...

So, you are really trying to accomplish two things:
1) Close the file in session without saving any changes to the elements.
2) Relinquish everything in the central file.
Revit won't let you do 2 before you've done 1 -- it won't let you relinquish an element that you've changed, because it doesn't know that you don't want to keep that change. There is no command that will do 1 and 2 at the same time. So, you need to 1 and then 2 yourself.
Right. Is this a possible wish list item? - e.g. there's a fourth option which is "Relinquish and Lose Changes" - this would seem to solve the dilemma indicated above because Revit now knows that I don't want to keep the changes and it's safe to relinquish the elements without saving them to central.

Or is this next to impossible - that there's a technical reason why Revit can't go first 2, then 1?

bowlingbrad
2005-06-23, 03:40 AM
Brad, you did fine :D

:cool:
from a founder!
:cool: