PDA

View Full Version : More Residential Content

Beth Powell
2005-06-27, 03:02 PM
More content and tutorials for residential designers.

arcadia_x27
2005-06-27, 04:29 PM
I second that motion,

david_peterson
2005-06-27, 05:01 PM
Seeing that's it's called Architectural Desktop, I think there's a lot missing.

Of course I always here the same old comment, just start with a sim one and modify it.
I don't have time for that.

Brian Myers
2005-06-28, 12:48 AM
I agree as well...it's a massive industry with limited ADT support. I've always found this as odd since so many smaller companies are coming out with stronger Residential products every year (many BIM based).

david_peterson
2005-06-28, 02:22 PM
I guess that's why a company came out with VizRez

BWG
2005-07-03, 03:01 AM
I don't think this fits within Autodesk's roadmap. That is why they release APIs. I don't think the other software developers out there know just how much we need this content and how much money they could make with it or they would have already put it on the web for download/purchase. Funny too since Residential construction is one of the biggest industries in the US.

jay.80870
2005-07-05, 02:15 PM
To the best of my recollection the residential industry is about a $450 Billion dollar industry! Huge opportunity but the bigger challenge is that it is highly fragmented vs. commercial. Also, most residential firms utilize (5) or less seats so it is a high-cost sale to get to these multitudes of architects, drafters, designers, etc. in the res. industry. Therefore, possibly why the very large development firms do not actively pursue this market and choose to release robust API's for their 3rd party firms to fill the voids with.

In addition most of the residential market users have smaller budgets and find it hard to spend money on whatever enhancements might be offered to them. So I feel certain Autodesk is aware of the size / opportunity in the res. industry but the costs of marketing and selling to these smaller volume firms is possibly too high given the development time they would have to put into it.

Thanks,
Jay

moreland.pljbd
2005-07-12, 10:04 PM
I would say it's in need of alot of both commercial and residential content.
More walls, roof routines that reflect commercial construction, larger selection of
doors, windows, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, etc. out of the box.

jay.80870
2005-07-13, 07:48 PM
I absolutely agree. The next question would be "Who provides this additional enhancements, features, etc.?" Does the market feel it is the responsibility of the original developer to provide all these solutions or should more 3rd parties rise up and fill the niche needs for these "developmental holes".

And if current users are already unhappy with the cost of full seats, upgrades, subscription programs how is a company (original or 3rd party) to justify the development of solutions? Obviously we (the market) are asking developers to invest more money and research into creating solutions but they have to charge more or increase prices somewhere to generate a return. Such a Catch-22 situation. We always want more but can I have it for free, please? :))))

Jay