PDA

View Full Version : Trying to embed a linked RVT

Tom Weir
2005-06-27, 09:26 PM
Hi all,
It seemd like a good idea... I had to draw some tunnels for a football stadium so I drew them in their own stair file (file a), and then linked them into the overall stadium file (file b). Now I want to embed file a in file b, like I would bind an xref in Autocad.

Trouble is I do not see a way to embed it....I hope I am missing something. Can you copy and paste, or embed one Revit file with another?
If not I'll have to redraw it all in the overall stadium file.

Thanks.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

hand471037
2005-06-27, 09:27 PM
as far as I know, you can't 'bind' them together. There isn't a tool for doing that.

But if you open both projects in the same sesson of Revit, and if the levels are the same between the two projects, then it should cut and paste over without issue.

James.Lupton
2005-06-27, 11:00 PM
The procedure is to open both files and then to select the items in file A which you want to embed in File B

After selecting the items use the menu option EditCopy

Select File B and open the view corresponding with the level you want the objects to be embedded

Then choose EditPaste Aligned - Current view

The object should now be part of your main project file

Remember that updates to file A will not cause File B to update.

Scott D Davis
2005-06-28, 12:00 AM
Just a 'little' stadium project you are working on, eh Tom? Hope the cut and paste works for you. Being able to 'bind' one file into another seems like a great way to go!

Tom Weir
2005-06-28, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys, I was able to get the copy and paste to work. Phew!

Scott, I definately think there should be a bind option. With that you could also split the work up a little on elements like this stair/tunnel without having to use worksets.

THe project is the Rose Bowl. I am glad you got to see it at your User's Group meeting last week. For those in the Inland Empire area here in California who have not attended I urge you to check out the Revit User's Ggroup that Scott has started. I was out there last week and it was a real interesting group.

Thanks and have a great day....

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

mmodernc
2005-06-30, 03:32 AM
One of my really old file linking issues...linked to the edit in place linked file issue...bout time someone got the chain working.