PDA

View Full Version : GPS in my GIS

aharris
2005-07-01, 12:51 PM
Why does AutoCAD only think Civil does GPS? I think Points could be very useful in MAP!
My wish list is being able to bring my Trimble GPS directly into MAP and automatically convert the point to the block/symbol I need.

Glenn Pope
2005-07-01, 01:47 PM
Why does AutoCAD only think Civil does GPS? I think Points could be very useful in MAP!
My wish list is being able to bring my Trimble GPS directly into MAP and automatically convert the point to the block/symbol I need.
In Map 3D 2006, you can import point files into your drawing. As far as I can tell Map will not change a point to a block based on info for the point. That generally requires a Survey program to reduce the data and create the symbols and linework. This would be a nice feature in Map, but I don't think you would ever see it added. Since this is going into the surveying realm, and you should probably be using some kind of surveying software.

MHultgren
2005-07-01, 02:21 PM
Hi Glenn & aharris,

LDT will do what he is asking without the Survey module. LDT even has a Trimble Link sub menu that you can load to make it easier. May be able to get the Trimble Link to work in Map, but I don't know.

JeremiahM
2005-07-05, 06:52 PM
If I am not mistaken, Trimble Link only works with the survey grade stuff. Also, I think that they will integrate it a some time. The point tool in Map 3D 05 and 06 allow you to use points as you wish, but you have to use Trimbles software to make ascii files for it. You can also create .shp files if you are using Trimble Pathfinder Office. This allows you to use the Map Import function to set layers, coord sys, and blocks to the points that you are bringing in (that is how we do it). The tool you want does exist in Envision 8 and I am hoping that it will be incoorperated to Map someday...

Jeremiah

MHultgren
2005-07-05, 08:11 PM
Dotsoft has a tool for exporting points to ASCII as well.

hingles
2005-07-06, 06:05 PM
In Map 3D 2006, you can import point files into your drawing. As far as I can tell Map will not change a point to a block based on info for the point. That generally requires a Survey program to reduce the data and create the symbols and linework. This would be a nice feature in Map, but I don't think you would ever see it added. Since this is going into the surveying realm, and you should probably be using some kind of surveying software.

Sure you can have MAP use a RANGE table and some information within the block to
Alter the BLOCK being placed for a point.....much better to use Land/Civil 3D Point
Description Keys instead.

JeremiahM
2005-07-08, 06:14 PM
Sure you can have MAP use a RANGE table and some information within the block to
Alter the BLOCK being placed for a point.....much better to use Land/Civil 3D Point
Description Keys instead.

Which are included in Map 3D...

Jeremiah