PDA

View Full Version : 3D POLYLINE TOOLBAR NEEDED FOR CIVIL 3D

mms
2005-07-26, 11:19 AM
One of the major major things that needs to be added to Civil 3D (I am very surprised that it wasn't included in C3D 2005 OR 2006) is the 3D Polyline toolbar that is in Land Desktop. With the very good and straightforward functionality for the creation of surfaces and the like, this tool is ESSENTIAL for those of us who do any grading with 3D Polys. While the 3DPOLY command will work in a pinch to get from point A to point B, if someone wants to do anything more sophisticated with a 3DPoly they have to close C3D, Open LDT and create the polylines, Exit LDT, Reopen C3D, and Add the 3d polys to the surface. Very cumbersome, should be standard functionality. And yes, the concept of the grading tools is very cool, but I find that they do not cover the range of grading scenarios that would allow for me to not use 3DPolys. If I were asked if there was one thing I could have added to Civil 3D before all else, this would definitely be it. It should have been in from the get go. Having to jump back and forth between C3D and LDT just does not cut it.

P.S. While Autodesk is adding this toolbar, they should evaluate all of the others in LDT. 3DPolys are a very hot issue for me, but I know of others.

danny.counts
2005-07-26, 02:39 PM
Agreed. Although some people do not get along with 3D polylines, 3D polys are my friend and are also a very versatile object to use where corridors and grading fall short. We need similar 3D Polyline tools to those in LDT.

doggarn.70892
2005-08-13, 05:57 AM
There is a 3rd party program that does a great job with 3d poly... Dotsoft.com
and their toolpac 9 and it does work in Civil 3d have used it and it does some nice
practical things and conversions that just work. Check it out.

Mike

emurrugarra
2005-10-12, 07:56 AM
Totally agree. Autodesk should add this toolbar which is very useful.

pmahany
2005-10-31, 03:20 PM
Yes, this is one of the pieces of the puzzle needed to make Civil3D functional for surface creation.