PDA

View Full Version : From acad (only acad) File\Open I am unable to access my C: drive

jaberwok
2005-08-01, 09:00 PM
I've built a new standalone pc, installed XPpro and A2006.
From acad (only acad) File\Open I cannot access my C: drive. The error message is -

\\P2-350\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found.

\\P2-350\ does not appear in the acad files lists and it does not appear in the registry.

P2-350 was the name of my old pc. The only common part is the primary hard drive from the old pc that is a secondary drive on the new one.

Any thoughts?

RobertB
2005-08-01, 09:09 PM
Turn RememberFolders off momentarily?

madcadder
2005-08-01, 09:10 PM
Did you change the jump(s) on the old drive to be a slave drive instead of the master?

I've seen this when both the drive were set to "cable-select"..

jaberwok
2005-08-02, 06:59 AM

Thanks Robert. I'll try that when I get back home.

jaberwok
2005-08-02, 06:59 AM
Did you change the jump(s) on the old drive to be a slave drive instead of the master?

I've seen this when both the drive were set to "cable-select"..

Thank Tod. Yes I did.

jaberwok
2005-08-02, 07:26 PM

No. That didn't work even after rebooting. :-(

RobertB
2005-08-02, 07:29 PM
Might that path be located in a shortcut on the left pane of the dialog box?

jaberwok
2005-08-02, 07:58 PM
Might that path be located in a shortcut on the left pane of the dialog box?

Do you mean Favourites, History, Buzzsaw, etc.?

If so, no, it's not there either.

I hate to admit this but I think I'm going to have to reinstall - the last resort.

jaberwok
2005-08-02, 10:58 PM
A complete acad uninstall/install didn't fix it either so I'm going to have to get seriously mean with this pc later in the week.

RobertAitken
2005-08-03, 06:18 AM
A complete acad uninstall/install didn't fix it either so I'm going to have to get seriously mean with this pc later in the week.
Did you install the OS on a new HD or move the existing disk? If a new disk disconnect the old disk and boot from there.

Robert

jaberwok
2005-08-03, 06:56 AM
Did you install the OS on a new HD or move the existing disk? If a new disk disconnect the old disk and boot from there.

Robert

Hi Robert.

It was a clean install to a new HD. The old drive was moved over later (I'm almost certain).

Funny thing. After uninstall/install I did not need to re-authorise acad so clearly not all acad-related data is removed. Good news/bad news.

charlie.bauer341340
2005-08-03, 11:41 AM
Hi Robert
An uninstall/install does not clean the registry to do a complete removal check this out from Autodesk http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id=2887771&linkID=2475323&siteID=123112 it will explain how to do a complete removal of autocad.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

jaberwok
2005-08-03, 11:46 AM
Thank you Charlie.
Yes. That's the next step. Followed by RegCleaner and ErrorNuker.

charlie.bauer341340
2005-08-03, 11:49 AM
Robert

Did you install Acad on the new hard drive or the old? Is the old operating system still on the hd?

charlie.bauer341340
2005-08-03, 11:52 AM
John
Sorry about calling you Robert. If you have installed acad on the new hd. unplug the old one and start acad. If the problem still occurs the registry has been corrupted and a complete cleaning is necessary.

Charlie

jaberwok
2005-08-03, 11:53 AM
John
Sorry about calling you Robert. If you have installed acad on the new hd. unplug the old one and start acad. If the problem still occurs the registry has been corrupted and a complete cleaning is necessary.

Charlie

No worries.
Yep. That too. :beer:

jaberwok
2005-08-05, 08:24 PM
Well, what do you know?

I disconnected the secondary drive, uninstalled all adesk software as TS45252, rebooted, ran RegCleaner and ErrorNuker. I installed A2006 and reauthorised it and I STILL cannot access the C: drive through the File\Open dialogue.

~shakes head and walks away muttering~

Brian Myers
2005-08-05, 08:27 PM
Format C: :shock:

madcadder
2005-08-05, 08:35 PM
I don't remember hearing if Autocad is the ONLY open dialog that can not access C: or does this issue happen with Word and Excel, Explorer, can C: be seen over the network if shared?
I'm expecting "just autocad" as the answer.

jaberwok
2005-08-05, 08:49 PM
Format C: :shock:

Funny you should say that Brian.
I'm sure I heard somewhere that acad writes something to the c: drive boot sectors but I thought it was registration info not working info.
That REALLY IS the last resort.

jaberwok
2005-08-05, 08:50 PM
I don't remember hearing if Autocad is the ONLY open dialog that can not access C: or does this issue happen with Word and Excel, Explorer, can C: be seen over the network if shared?
I'm expecting "just autocad" as the answer.

"Just autocad" is the answer. :cry:

madcadder
2005-08-05, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know what acadficn.dll does? It appears all over the registry.

Mike.Perry
2005-08-05, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know what acadficn.dll does? It appears all over the registry.ID: TS67881 - New AutoCADĀ® 2002 icons are not displayed (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id=2863008&linkID=2475323&siteID=123112)

Brian Myers
2005-08-05, 10:17 PM
Funny you should say that Brian.
I'm sure I heard somewhere that acad writes something to the c: drive boot sectors but I thought it was registration info not working info.
That REALLY IS the last resort.

Yes, its a last resort, but one that ALWAYS works for software issues! :-) In this case it's obviously a Registry issue with Windows... One thing you might try is another un-install, then re-install it after a re-boot, but this time install AutoCAD either in a different directory or better yet, on your other HD. In theory this may force Windows to change (over-write) the old Registry entries as AutoCAD would be in an entirely different location (perhaps a totally different drive) than it was running in the previous installation and Windows would have to tell itself where to find the appropriate files (and settings) all over again.

Also, be sure to do the install as Administrator to ensure this doesn't have to do with XP's security privileges.

jaberwok
2005-08-07, 07:49 AM
Thanks Brian.
I've a couple of other ideas to try before doing that. I'll report back later.

John

jaberwok
2005-11-13, 05:14 PM
As promised, here is the solution -
I downloaded a freeware utility called Agent Ransack and ran it.
It found a shortcut - target.lnk - which pointed to a non-existant UNC path (\\P2-350\SharedDocs). Erased the file - no more problem.
:Puffy:
It wasn't any of the solutions that I anticipated - but then they rarely are. :roll:

Oh, and I appologise for the silly thread name.

Mike.Perry
2005-11-13, 05:44 PM
As promised, here is the solution -

<SNIP>

Oh, and I appologise for the silly thread name.Hi John

Thanks for posting back the solution. I am sure others will benefit from such information in the future.

I have also taken the liberty of renaming the thread ( I hope you approve, please let me know if you would rather see a different title ).

:beer: Mike

jaberwok
2005-11-13, 07:53 PM
Hi John

Thanks for posting back the solution. I am sure others will benefit from such information in the future.

I have also taken the liberty of renaming the thread ( I hope you approve, please let me know if you would rather see a different title ).

:beer: Mike

Thanks Mike, the title is (now) fine.

:applejuice: