PDA

View Full Version : Vectors

jkramer
2005-08-08, 07:09 PM
I have a question about exporting something to a vector based file (Adobe Illustrator).

I have our logo in CAD and .jgp files. These can be modified into any of a handful of other file formats, except that we would like to get vinyl window letters made and they want a vector based file. What's the best way to get this? We have an intern in our office who tried to create the file in Illustrator for us, but the mark is now butchered.

Thanks for any input.
Jessica

Wanderer
2005-08-08, 07:16 PM
I have a question about exporting something to a vector based file (Adobe Illustrator).

I have our logo in CAD and .jgp files. These can be modified into any of a handful of other file formats, except that we would like to get vinyl window letters made and they want a vector based file. What's the best way to get this? We have an intern in our office who tried to create the file in Illustrator for us, but the mark is now butchered.

Thanks for any input.
Jessica
What type of format(s) are acceptable for them?

rkmcswain
2005-08-09, 12:58 AM

Thanks for any input.
Jessica

Depending on the version, I thought Illustrator could open and work with DWG files. I know someone who creates vinyl signs and they can use DWG, DXF, WMF, etc. files.

Brian Myers
2005-08-09, 02:18 AM
An EPS file is what you need and you can easily create it in AutoCAD from your CAD logo.

First you add a printer to create an EPS format file...similar to if you were printing to a PDF file.

So you add a printer: Select the printer - Adobe: Postscript Level 1. If you don't get the results you like (related to color) try Postscript 2 or 3. I personally use Postscript Level 1. Then simply print to that "printer" and save the file where you want it.

This is the best format for graphics people to use as it scales great and is very high quality. I work for a publisher of Home Plan books and this is how I transfer my own designs/drawings to them with great results. Plus EPS is a format I promise they'll be able to use as it's an industry standard, even if it is lesser known since it's rarely seen on the internet (it's great for print media and one of the most widely used formats in that field, plus almost all vector programs can save this file to other vector formats).

This should work for you!
Brian

(Ps. If it looks not quite right on your screen try printing it, it usually looks perfect after printing but sometimes looks slightly "scrunched" on your screen depending on resolution.) Oh... if you can't find a program that opens an EPS file then simply insert it as an image in Microsoft Word.. it works well to see the image and creates the sharpest, best images within that program if you are doing reports, etc.