PDA

View Full Version : 4-D Drawings

philA
2005-08-17, 02:48 PM
I work in an architect's office. There is one enhancement(change) to Autocad, LT and Full, that I think would make more difference in the final product than anything else. That is the ability to see what changed on a drawing after a certain date and time. I know there are programs/web sites out there to manage file modification dates but do they track changes within a drawing? It seems that this would require a time property for each entity. Yes, I know that might be a hit to memory but I think well worth it. One of the biggest complaints I hear from architects, their consultants, and the contractor trying to build from their plans is the lack of coordination between drawings, usually related to changes during the drawing stage. Being able to filter by a modification time/date and see changes would be invaluable to eliminating many of those problems. It seems that the ability to make changes so easily in CAD has made those same drawings much more difficult to coordinate. OK, I am rambling now. Let me know what everyone else thinks, or if this is a long dead issue and why, or if there is a way to already do this.