PDA

View Full Version : CAD standards

glenn.90356
2005-08-19, 04:53 PM
Just a a few questions,

My company doesn't really have any CAD standards, i mean i we have some in house (only 3 diff. line weights) standards but nothing that is like the National CAD Standards, I was just gonna see what everyone thought i should try and do, should i make up standards on my own or should i try and get my boss to buy the NCS so that we will be on the same playing field as everyone else.

Thanks,

Lost with no direction.

J. Grouchy
2005-08-19, 05:05 PM
Probably ought to move this thread to a General CAD forum...likely to get more help there than in Coffee Without CAD. :D

scwegner
2005-08-19, 05:14 PM
I'll second what Josh said and add that if you do a forum search for "CAD standards" you'll find a ton of debate on this issue. Personally, I think NCS is a waste of time and money for my because it's weighted towards large-scale and commercial and ignores the needs of small residential firms. But, of course, someone will come along soon enough to say why I'm wrong.

Smalley
2005-08-19, 06:44 PM
But, of course, someone will come along soon enough to say why I'm wrong.

You say it like it's happened before? Isn't this a place where everyone is in agreement, like managers around a CEO, "yes sir, great idea sir, fantastic observation"

madcadder
2005-08-19, 07:24 PM
"yes sir, great idea sir, fantastic observation"

Glenn Pope
2005-08-19, 08:57 PM
Hi Glenn

Please note that I have moved this thread from the Coffee without CAD (CWC) forum to this one. I believe it would be better suited here.

Thanks

afortier
2005-08-22, 11:43 AM
I'll second what Josh said and add that if you do a forum search for "CAD standards" you'll find a ton of debate on this issue. Personally, I think NCS is a waste of time and money for my because it's weighted towards large-scale and commercial and ignores the needs of small residential firms. But, of course, someone will come along soon enough to say why I'm wrong. i'll have to agree w/ simon- make ur own. i think in the long run it will save time and $. i made the standards here and was on the standards "committee" @ my previous job. i think the smaller firms should defiantly make their own.
depending on the size of ur firm or how its structured, it may be beneficial to have a committee- we had teams and we had one member join the committee from each team- and one from survey- then we met once a week and went thru everything we needed and came up w/ standards. doing it this way insured that all teams used the standards, b/c everyone had some input. also this way u don't have to "train" everyone. and it may be wise to have a person that everyone respects as a moderator- to make sure it stays on topic and if it gets heated, they can intervene. we had an admin person- that way she wasn't biased. good luck- sorry so long winded.

Wanderer
2005-08-22, 04:55 PM
i'll have to agree w/ simon- make ur own. i think in the long run it will save time and $. i made the standards here and was on the standards "committee" @ my previous job. i think the smaller firms should defiantly make their own.
~nods~ I made my own also. NCS was too detailed for me, noone's going to read that whole thing. Just some basic quality control issues and settling on AIA short format layer names (with modifiers).

Good luck.

glee.94356
2005-09-07, 04:18 PM
Agreed. Make your own standards. Stay with the AIA layer naming conventions or modify to suit. Keep your standards straightforward and simple and your employees are more likely to follow. Be consistent.
If you have a central server, you could actually set it up so that all the machines draw their fonts, dimension styles, layers, etc from one central point. Easier to manage that way. Maybe even short cuts. That way if you switch users on a machine, the newbie won't be pulling his hair out trying to figure out why his shortcuts don't work. The use of profiles greatly simplifies this.
If you know how to customize toolbars and create menus, you can ensure that everyone uses the same sumbols, sheets etc. Some work on your part makes management a lot easier down the road. I helped set up the CAD standards and regulated documentation standards at the last firm I was at. A number of firms actually came by to see what we did and incorporated those standards.
Good luck

glee.94356
2005-09-07, 04:25 PM
Oh, forgot to add one more thing. Keep it flexible. CAD changes and incorporates new functionality, so be able to adapt to it.
I agree with forming a committee and getting consensus, however make sure there's somebody who can implement or is willing to take a lead. Otherwise you end up with meetings after meetings and nothing ever gets done. A CAD manager must sometimes be able to forge ahead and get things done.
Oh, everytime you get somebody new in your firm they will question everything you have worked hard to put together. It's ok. part of the process. If your system works, you'll notice that after awhile, the new people will actually become productive and will tell you they like your system. Sometimes you can learn from their criticisms and improve your standards.
Have fun. I'm assuming you'll be the traditional AEC CAD manager, where you'll do the management, fix bugs, answer questions and still do your 50 hours of design or production.