PDA

View Full Version : Rotate while copy, viceversa... alternative for polar array

girishpongalil
2005-08-28, 11:55 AM
When we need to array in polar and doesn't want to be in a sequence so that we can determine where we want to insert, use this procedure :-
Select the entities to be copied, pick any grip appeared, right button select "base point" show any point which will act as the centre point, again right button select "rotate", again right button select "copy". Now you can paste anywhere we need because it will be work as multiple copying rotated on a centre point

BrenBren
2005-08-28, 01:15 PM
When we need to array in polar and doesn't want to be in a sequence so that we can determine where we want to insert, use this procedure :-
Select the entities to be copied, pick any grip appeared, right button select "base point" show any point which will act as the centre point, again right button select "rotate", again right button select "copy". Now you can paste anywhere we need because it will be work as multiple copying rotated on a centre point
FYI - this is a new feature in 2006 :)

Mike.Perry
2005-08-29, 10:45 PM
FYI - this is a new feature in 2006 :)Hi

"girishpongalil" (Sorry I don't know your real name) procedure as outlined above works perfectly well in AutoCAD 2005 (I will test AutoCAD 2002 & 2004 tomorrow and report back).

Have a good one, Mike

Mike.Perry
2005-08-30, 07:38 AM
"girishpongalil" (Sorry I don't know your real name) procedure as outlined above works perfectly well in AutoCAD 2005 (I will test AutoCAD 2002 & 2004 tomorrow and report back).Hi

As promised - have tested "girishpongalil" above procedure here at work - works perfectly in AutoCAD 202 & 2004.

Have a good one, Mike

Mike.Perry
2005-08-30, 12:58 PM
Well, then apparantly you are correct. However, I was only going by what was listed as a new feature of AutoCAD 2006. From the New Features Workshop. But, thanks again for pointing out my mistake.Hi

I am truly sorry you see it like that, I can assure you that is not my intent or wish.

Personally I view it as making AUGI forum users aware of AutoCAD functionality that is available to them in the version of AutoCAD they are currently running....

Have a good one, Mike

iawegian
2005-09-02, 01:17 PM
THANK YOU! While searching for a solution to pasting XL sheets for schedules in drawings, I found your tip. I'm an older engineer who's directed CAD folks before, but not having the luxury of doing some things myself. Now I'm taking time to do some drawings myself, and I really appreciated the tip on how to do this!

BrenBren
2005-09-02, 01:59 PM
FYI - this is a new feature in 2006 :)
Let me clarify. In AutoCAD 2006, the ability to copy became in integeral part of the rotate command. A snip from an ATP course...

Using the copy feature of the rotate command, create multiple objects and different rotations. In our example, we will create a rectangle. We will then select a grip and right click. We will select the rotate command. Next, select a base point. You will note that in the dynamic input area, there is a down arrow. As you remember from segment 1, this means we have options we can choose from with the command (these options also show up in the command line). Select the copy option, and then the rotation angle. You now have 2 rectangles. The base point does not have to be on the rectangle, it can be anywhere in the drawing area. Also note, you do not have to use grips to achieve this, the copy option is attached right to the rotate command.

Jimbo
2007-03-27, 03:56 AM
Wow! This is a gem of a tip!

Although it uses the copy and rotate commands, it is really a variation of the polar array command (as the heading suggests) as it only allows you to copy and rotate about the centre of an arc or circle.

The advantage it has over the copy feature incorporated into the rotate command in 2006 is that it allows you to make multiple copies whilst in the one command.

One thing I would like to clarify in girlishpongalil’s steps is that by “picking any grip” he means “heat” the grip (that is, so it changes from blue to red). Also, I suggest working in an anti-clockwise direction so that the rotation angle is not mirrored.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-03-27, 12:25 PM
Wow! This is a gem of a tip!

Although it uses the copy and rotate commands, it is really a variation of the polar array command (as the heading suggests) as it only allows you to copy and rotate about the centre of an arc or circle.

The advantage it has over the copy feature incorporated into the rotate command in 2006 is that it allows you to make multiple copies whilst in the one command.

One thing I would like to clarify in girlishpongalil’s steps is that by “picking any grip” he means “heat” the grip (that is, so it changes from blue to red). Also, I suggest working in an anti-clockwise direction so that the rotation angle is not mirrored.

That makes more sense. I wasn't sure I fully understood the tip.

WODEN666
2007-04-30, 08:31 AM
Thanks for this tip, seen it done once and couldn't for the life of me remember how it was done...cheers