PDA

View Full Version : Strange results for Benchmarking

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-08-28, 11:13 PM
Rather than clutter up the main Sticky on the Benchmark results. It thought that I had better start a new post.

I have recently run the Benchmark on two different PC's with different specs.

PC 1 -
HP
XP Pro SP2
Pentium IV, 3.4
1 Gb Ram
80 SATA hard drive
Generic 128Mb ATI based graphics card - AGP

Benchmark result = 1416

PC 2 -
Dell
XP Pro SP2
Pentium IV, 3.0
512Mb Ram
80GB hard drive
?? 128Mb graphics card - PCI Express.

Benchmark result = 879

They are both running the same version of Revit 8.0

Just wondering if the Graphics card is the limiting factor on PC 2?

iru69
2005-08-28, 11:39 PM
A bit confused... those benchmark results are in seconds - so PC 2 did better than PC 1 - which is not to be expected considering that PC 1 has more RAM and a faster cpu.

However you've really provided no information on the graphics cards - "Generic ATI" doesn't tell us anything on PC 1 and you don't know what graphics card you're using on PC 2. While I don't know how evenly the benchmark plays out, the graphics card generally shouldn't have that much of an effect (the graphics card doesn't much affect rendering performance). Are you sure you didn't get those results backwards?

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-08-29, 12:04 AM
Yes. PC 2 is faster than the first one.

PC 1 is my work computer and the other one is my home Pc.

The Dell was purchased secondhand and I haven't taken the case off yet to verify what Graphics card it has.

When I ordered PC 1 I just asked for a 128Mb card. So I gathered that they just put in the cheapest 128Mb that they could get their hands on. Since I too thought that the graphics card would';t have that much effect of performance.

That is why I ordered the 1Gb memory and the faster processor.

Maybe I got a lemon ?

iru69
2005-08-29, 12:42 AM
Well, looking over the benchmarks posted by others, PC 1 should be considerably faster then what you're getting out of it - so something's going on. You might want to check your Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and check to see if something's eating into your CPU resources. Any problems with spyware, adware, viruses etc? Does Revit seem to run pretty fast when you're using it as you normally would?

Maybe someone else has run into this issue and knows what the problem might be. Good luck.

-OTTP-Brembo
2005-08-29, 02:37 AM
Found the problem.

Started disabling programs in memory separately.

Etrust Antivirus was the culprit. Times are now down to 749...

What virus scanner do you guys use?