PDA

View Full Version : 3d Campus map

campscot
2005-08-30, 04:27 PM
Which autodesk program is best suited for a 3d campus map?

BrenBren
2005-08-30, 04:37 PM
I am going to move this to the software forum, as it will probably get a better answer than the Coffee without CAD Forum...

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-08-30, 04:44 PM
If you want something quick and easy, for graphics only, try SketchUp.

Wanderer
2005-08-30, 04:49 PM
Which autodesk program is best suited for a 3d campus map?
I'm curious about the level of detail you'd be going for? and what purpose(s) it would be used for?

campscot
2005-08-30, 10:15 PM
All I am interested in right now is a 3d building mass on a two dimensional campus map. The fenistration is not terribly important but the shape and roof type is.

pfrederico
2005-08-31, 05:01 AM
Funny thing that you should ask for that.

I'm working currently on a project that consists of three buildings situated on a university campus. I made them in Revit, although the method I used (working with building tools rather than just mass) was arguably not the best, due to the ammount of detail and time spent over it...

Anyway, it would help to know if you're looking to build anything more with the program, if it's just for 3D modelling or if you're looking for something that'll deal with just about everything. As I said, I'm working with Revit and love it. But it takes sometime... Last Software's Sketchup will probably your best bet.Oh, and the latest release also allows you to import autocad topo lines and make 3D terrain from those! It's a really easy program.

PeterJ
2005-09-22, 11:25 AM
I have created some revit families in the past which are a simple cube, pyramid and equilateral triangle extrusion, these give me the chance to quickly build up surrounding buildings with roof forms. All the familes are instance based so I can import a map and simply place them and drag them to the right size then work out the height from another survey or from photos. It gives a very quick context map for feasibility studies. I have also allowed the material to be variable as I have found that making the elements non-opaque can give some very useful presentation effects by giving a full colour to the subject building and having the campus elements in partial colour so they don't obscure the bit I am interested in.