PDA

View Full Version : CUI specific Wish List Please?

jguest82179
2005-09-07, 04:32 AM
A question to the moderators: Can we please have a new wish list specific to the ACAD 2006 CUI? (Or did I just create one by making this post? :confused: )

If so, then here are a few thing to kick it off:

i) When viewing the list of commands with them filtered by custom commands only and you then click the "New" button the CUI switches back to viewing all commands forcing you to go back to the pull down and switch back to viewing only custom commands again. Personally I find this very frustrating. If I am viewing custom commands only and I click the "New" button, then surely it is obvious that I am creating a new custom command, is it not? (Aside from that, how can you create a new command that is not a custom command?)

ii) As far as I can tell there is no way to copy a command to then modify it to make a new command. It would be really helpful to have, for example, a "New Command Based On..." button or similar to achieve this end. At the moment it takes five copy and pastes to replicate a command to base a new command on.

iii) What is up with the "Edit Properties" option in the context menu that results from a right click in the command list? If I want to edit a command I can simply click that command and then move over into the lower right portion of the window. "Edit Properties" appears to do absolutely nothing. If this is true then it probably should be removed to reduce confusion.

iv) A similar situation exists with the "New Command" option in the right click context menu, in that it appears to be redundant. The difference here is that it combines its irritational qualities with points i and ii - it immediately switches you back to viewing the entire command list. It would be far more useful if this option were to create the "New Command Based On" that I mentioned earlier.

Does anyone else have other suggestions to add to this list?

Aside from the frustrations caused by the CUI, I still stand by my earlier statements elsewhere on this site that the CUI has a great deal of potential as a customization tool. What is needed is some useful documentation and a lot of fine tuning based on customer feedback. Of course the latter can not happen unless we provide the feedback :)

Cheers,...Jon.

BTW, has anybody else noticed the surge in popularity of this little fellow :banghead: since the introduction of the CUI?

BrenBren
2005-09-07, 11:19 AM
A question to the moderators: Can we please have a new wish list specific to the ACAD 2006 CUI? (Or did I just create one by making this post? :confused: )

If so, then here are a few thing to kick it off:

i) When viewing the list of commands with them filtered by custom commands only and you then click the "New" button the CUI switches back to viewing all commands forcing you to go back to the pull down and switch back to viewing only custom commands again. Personally I find this very frustrating. If I am viewing custom commands only and I click the "New" button, then surely it is obvious that I am creating a new custom command, is it not? (Aside from that, how can you create a new command that is not a custom command?)

ii) As far as I can tell there is no way to copy a command to then modify it to make a new command. It would be really helpful to have, for example, a "New Command Based On..." button or similar to achieve this end. At the moment it takes five copy and pastes to replicate a command to base a new command on.

iii) What is up with the "Edit Properties" option in the context menu that results from a right click in the command list? If I want to edit a command I can simply click that command and then move over into the lower right portion of the window. "Edit Properties" appears to do absolutely nothing. If this is true then it probably should be removed to reduce confusion.

iv) A similar situation exists with the "New Command" option in the right click context menu, in that it appears to be redundant. The difference here is that it combines its irritational qualities with points i and ii - it immediately switches you back to viewing the entire command list. It would be far more useful if this option were to create the "New Command Based On" that I mentioned earlier.

Does anyone else have other suggestions to add to this list?

Aside from the frustrations caused by the CUI, I still stand by my earlier statements elsewhere on this site that the CUI has a great deal of potential as a customization tool. What is needed is some useful documentation and a lot of fine tuning based on customer feedback. Of course the latter can not happen unless we provide the feedback :)

Cheers,...Jon.

BTW, has anybody else noticed the surge in popularity of this little fellow :banghead: since the introduction of the CUI?
Please hold these wishes until the AutoCAD Wish List is reopened (wish should hopefully be within a week or two). Since CUI is a FEATURE of AutoCAD, all wishes should be put into the AutoCAD Wish List.

Thanks

Ferroequine
2005-09-07, 02:49 PM
LOL!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jguest82179
2005-09-07, 10:46 PM
Please hold these wishes until the AutoCAD Wish List is reopened (wish should hopefully be within a week or two). Since CUI is a FEATURE of AutoCAD, all wishes should be put into the AutoCAD Wish List.

Thanks

No worries Brenda, will do. I wasn't sure where these should go seeing as they were so specific to this one area of AutoCAD. Probably best if you move my post once the wish list is reopened.

Just curious - was the word 'feature' in capitals because it was being used as a metaphor? Or was that just my cynicism slipping through? ;-)

BrenBren
2005-09-08, 02:16 AM
No worries Brenda, will do. I wasn't sure where these should go seeing as they were so specific to this one area of AutoCAD. Probably best if you move my post once the wish list is reopened.

Just curious - was the word 'feature' in capitals because it was being used as a metaphor? Or was that just my cynicism slipping through? ;-) No problem... I won't be able to move this post however, you will have to resubmit the wishes (the whole wish list thing is changing)...Read about it here (http://www.augi.com/autocad/default.asp?page=738)

And nope, only in capitals to point out that features of AutoCAD should go into the AutoCAD wish list...I meant nothing else...sorry if it came off wrong :)

jguest82179
2005-09-08, 03:49 AM
No problem... I won't be able to move this post however, you will have to resubmit the wishes (the whole wish list thing is changing)...Read about it here (http://www.augi.com/autocad/default.asp?page=738)

OK, I had a read and I like the ideas for the new wish list - sounds like it should be very user friendly. Always good! I'll resubmit these when the new list is up and running.

And nope, only in capitals to point out that features of AutoCAD should go into the AutoCAD wish list...I meant nothing else...sorry if it came off wrong :)

No need to apologise, I kinda figured it was just an interesting coincidence. I was just doing what we call "Stirring the Possum". :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Jon.