PDA

View Full Version : 2006 installs on ghost image

jgratton
2005-09-16, 07:21 PM
Can anyone give me some advice about how to address IT's issue. We want to put the AutoCAD installation on a ghost image so every workstation comes with ACAD pre-installed. Since 2006 has put some files under a user ID, how can this be worked around or should it? I am sorry, but I don't have days to read Autodesk documentation looking for the answer. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Glenn Pope
2005-09-16, 08:34 PM
I'm not 100%, but I don't think you have to worry about files under the user profiles. These files are usually created when the user firsts open AutoCAD.

jgratton
2005-09-16, 08:37 PM
A big THANKS for the quick reply. I am struggling here with the Network Administrator's guide.

If you are right, this is VERY good news.

G_Sarver
2005-10-11, 06:57 PM
As a followup to Glenn's response. He is right. As long as the program was installed under a profile with Administrator's rights and the program is not isolated under group policies it will copy the files from UserDataCache to the correct location under their profile upon their first logon to the workstation. This is the case with any software that uses profile based user customization files. This is the reason why Autodesk changed the default file structure and search paths in AutoCAD 2004 was to be XP compliant. However, on another note. I am not sure how large your organization is, but you could set up all of the pathing, custom cui files, etc under the Default User profile. That further makes set up easier on your CAD Admin. Especially if it is you. That is how I had our ghost image set up at a previous company I was with. Talk about simplifing your adminstration.