PDA

View Full Version : Standards

dlampley.41310
2005-09-27, 03:40 PM
I'm working to establish a good office CAD standard that will work across multiple disciplines, particularly Civil (including survey), Structural, Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing. I'm personally in the Structural dept. and I use the AIA standard for plot styles. My question is: will the AIA standard work well in the Civil department? They are using Autodesk Civil 3D, Land Development, Survey, etc.

Thanks!!

Wanderer
2005-09-27, 03:44 PM
I'm working to establish a good office CAD standard that will work across multiple disciplines, particularly Civil (including survey), Structural, Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing. I'm personally in the Structural dept. and I use the AIA standard for plot styles. My question is: will the AIA standard work well in the Civil department? They are using Autodesk Civil 3D, Land Development, Survey, etc.

Thanks!!There are a few threads in the CAD Mgmt forum on standards, you can find links to a couple of them at the bottom of thise page under 'Similar Threads'.

Good luck!

Civil Samurai
2005-09-27, 05:04 PM

Thanks!!

We have Civil and Surveying and we just merged the two companies and are going to be combining the layer standards and colors. I was never a big fan of the AIA system because it's too abreviated for my taste. In my eyes, the easier it is for the simplest mind to decipher the better. We have a system of prefixes for existing and proposed (EX and PROP) along with text and other items. After the prefix, the layer name is pretty much spelled out as complete as possible. For example, proposed area drains are on the PROP AREA DRAIN layer. Simple. Hard to screw up and easy to find what you're looking for. Anyways, good luck with the standards.

MHultgren
2005-09-28, 02:23 PM
If you do any work for US Gov. you might do well to check into the National Cad Standards at http://www.nationalcadstandard.org/ They have the AIA, and some additional variations available. Using this set of standards, does give you a little bit of a bonus as many of the government contracts are starting to require that you adhere to these standards for electronic submittals.