PDA

View Full Version : Layers in the Detail Component Manager

BCrouse
2005-09-30, 02:28 PM
It would be great that the detail in the Detail Component Manager could have the ability to change to the layering standard being used by the company. By having this ability in place, the company can control the amount of layers that are being inserted from the Detail Component Manager. This will allow them to stay within the Company Layering Standards.

Thank you

Brad

Steve_Bennett
2005-09-30, 03:38 PM
This is already possible. Check out this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22288&highlight=Detail+component+layer)which discusses how to change what layers detail components are placed on.

david_peterson
2005-09-30, 04:02 PM
This is already possible. Check out this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22288&highlight=Detail+component+layer)which discusses how to change what layers detail components are placed on.That's all fine and dandy, but I'd like to see the ability (maybe I missed that) to layer to a standard.
Why is it that in plan you layer things by what they are and in details you layer by pen weight?
I've never understood that. We've set up our structural standard for both plans and details so that the layering makes sense. I've seen company standards where everything goes on a a-detl layer or the a-detl-patt layer. That's right 2 colors. If I detail a piece of steel, I want the steel section on a layer called s-stel. If I need to detail a cmu wall, it you go on a s-cmu layer. ect....
With the amount of collaboration one dose with consultants, it only makes sense. It's a lot easier to pick on an object and let the layer tell you want you're looking at than trying to guess. I always hate looking a window section or stair section or stair plans where 90% of what I need to know about is on a layer call a-fine. What dose that tell you. Nothing. It'd be nice to know if I was looking at the glazing or the jamb beyond rather than 6 or 8 vertical lines on a a-fine layer.
Anyway that's what I like to see with the detail component manger.

cholmes
2005-10-03, 02:25 PM
I you are up for some work, it is possible to modify all the detail programs to use whatever layerkey you would like (even one you add).
All of the routines are found under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ADT 2006\enu\Details\Details (US) (or wherever you pathed it too) They are just a bunch of .xml's. If you go into one, (right click and open with notepad), somewhere in the routine it will have a line (or several lines) that looks like this -

<Layer ref="layerKey">THIN</Layer>

You can simply edit the "THIN" to be whatever you want, as long as you put that key into your layerkey as well.

I did this for rebar - anything that has rebar in it I changed to a "REBAR" layerkey, because we like to have the rebar a lot bolder than the default.

In theory, you could look at every file, and change them as you need to, it's just a lot of work. Plus it would add a bunch of layer keys too, but maybe that's ok.

BCrouse
2005-10-03, 02:29 PM
I you are up for some work, it is possible to modify all the detail programs to use whatever layerkey you would like (even one you add).
All of the routines are found under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ADT 2006\enu\Details\Details (US) (or wherever you pathed it too) They are just a bunch of .xml's. If you go into one, (right click and open with notepad), somewhere in the routine it will have a line that looks like this -

<Layer ref="layerKey">THIN</Layer>

You can simply edit the "THIN" to be whatever you want, as long as you put that key into your layerkey as well.

I did this for rebar - anything that has rebar in it I changed to a "REBAR" layerkey, because we like to have the rebar a lot bolder than the default.

In theory, you could look at every file, and change them as you need to, it's just a lot of work. Plus it would add a bunch of layer keys too, but maybe that's ok.

Thank you for taking time to reply to this idea. I will look at it to see how long it will take to change each and every one.

Again,

Thank you,

Brad

cholmes
2005-10-03, 02:32 PM
No problem. Hopefully it still works the same for 2006, I haven't played with it much yet. Let me know if you have any questions about it.