PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Outages

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-21, 01:18 AM
Unfortunately we've been experiencing some sporadic outages lately :(
I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

The good news is, the site is very popular, getting over 17,000 hits and well over 150 unique visits each day!!! But the bad news is that the 1,727,238 kb of data we've pushed through this month alone, is taking a toll or my old dinky little router. It seems to quit for about a half hour, just about every other day depending on load.

The server loads are well within tolerances, and the bandwidth seems to be holding steady, the router is the weak link.

Anyway, over the next couple of days, I hopefully will be upgrading, so the outages may last a bit longer, until I get things configured. If the site isn't up, be sure to check back later.

I thank you for your patience, during this time of transition.
:D

edited for spelling :oops:

Scott D Davis
2003-05-21, 04:10 AM
so can we all send you a dollar to buy a kicka$$ router?

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-21, 04:20 AM
@ 189 members...$3,500 for the aforementioned kick something router...that's more like $18.52...each... :( (coming down...)

Scott D Davis
2003-05-21, 04:31 AM
nice edit! i check your message once, and it's $30 each, then return and now its $31.25 each......

So a router is $3500? I was thinking maybe a couple a hunnerd!

Stilll, I'd give $30 to a good cause.....Zoog, can I get a receipt? This is a not-for-profit charitable organization, isn't it?

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-21, 11:10 AM
3.5K is the number our EyeTee guy was bandying about the other day for one we needed...but that could be a router of a different color than what Z actually needs. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's pretty costly for one to handle the bandwith potential...Cisco didn't get so big without a little help from it's prices.

PeterJ
2003-05-21, 12:00 PM
Chris

As you are the Linux boy you may want to look at using one of the simple router implementations that are offered to run Linux on a 386 or 486 with a single floppy install.

They can handle up to 1,000s of PCs and act as a firewall, then all you need is your web feed coming in as an ethernet cable and two network cards (one in and one out to your own network).

Might be cheaper than a big black box if you have the kit lying about.

P

patagoniadave
2003-05-21, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately we've been experiencing some sporadic outages lately :(
I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

The good news is, the site is very popular, getting over 17,000 hits and well over 150 unique visits each day!!! But the bad news is that the 1,727,238 kb of data we've pushed through this month alone, is taking a toll or my old dinky little router. It seems to quit for about a half hour, just about every other day depending on load.

The server loads are well within tolerances, and the bandwidth seems to be holding steady, the router is the weak link.

Anyway, over the next couple of days, I hopefully will be upgrading, so the outages may last a bit longer, until I get things configured. If the site isn't up, be sure to check back later.

I thank you for your patience, during this time of transition.
:D

edited for spelling :oops:

Do you take credit cards for donations?

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-21, 12:10 PM
:lol: :lol:

no need for donations yet boys, but thanks for the offer. :D

I won't be getting a super router like one steve is describing, I have another one already that may work better.

Plus like peter said, I will probably try to use either this clarkeconnect box as the router, or build another one. This distro was really designed to be an internet gateway, I just had some initial problems setting up both eth0 and eth1 to act as a gateway. Using a Linux box is like having a real managed router with tons of options.

again thanks for the offers. :)

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-22, 06:48 PM
Wow - 1.7Gigs a month. That's hot... and I'm sure it's way more now, two months later!

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-30, 08:31 PM
Wow - 1.7Gigs a month. That's hot... and I'm sure it's way more now, two months later!

It is, we pushed 3.7 gigs through so far this month, I'm figuring we will stop just under 4 gigs by the end of july. :shock:

July has been our busiest month to date:

http://www.zoogdesign.com/albums/revit/usage2.png

PeterJ
2003-07-30, 09:16 PM
What will your ISP allow you Chris?

Are you going to become a victim of your own success?

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-31, 12:00 AM
What will your ISP allow you Chris?

Are you going to become a victim of your own success?

Not sure really, i'm definetly pushing the limits and bending the subscriber agreement, but so far I havn't recieved any warnings from them..........yet.

I have a solution in the works, so don't worry, I won't come on here asking for bail money.

PeterJ
2003-07-31, 07:02 AM
Spill the beans?

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-31, 01:07 PM
Spill the beans?

soon