PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of USB flash drives

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 04:01 PM
Here's yet another that may need to be moved.... :screwy:

What are opinions of USB flash drives? I still keep some personal files on a 3.5" floppy... ...which is now stuck in the drive slot (#$%! floppy disk door!). I don't need a tremendous amount of memory.

scott.wilcox
2005-10-05, 04:08 PM
USB keys are fast, reliable, and easy to use. Floppy discs are definitely not reliable. Most new computers in my office do not even have 3.5" drives.

glee.94356
2005-10-05, 04:40 PM
USB drives are pretty convenient.
I used to have redundant ways of bringing work back from the office. VPN and usb. Before that zip drives. Floppies are still too dinky and well, floppy.
Except that I made the mistake of not having floppies in my newer machines. Can't create rescus disks. My DVD RW is suppose to be bootable but most programs still don't know how to write to it to create rescue disks.
You stick the usb in, go to explorer drag and drop your files and you are good to go. Drop the thing in your pocket. Small and lots of capacity. Buy the fancy ones, and you can record voice on it. Good for meeting notes. Get the fancier ones and you can listen to MP3 music.
Any fancier and you're talking PDA. That's beyond me. I can't afford one.
But if you are lugging a laptop around, may not need one.
My usb drive has sat around doing nothing for awhile now. More like a quicky backup drive, if I don't have the time to burn a backup CD.
Oh, you can retrieve that floppy. Shut down, unplug, remove back, pull drive, take out hammer and have fun.

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 04:43 PM
Oh, you can retrieve that floppy. Shut down, unplug, remove back, pull drive, take out hammer and have fun.Actually, I was leaning toward that tire iron in my Jeep. :veryevil: Only after saving everything to my hard drive.

glee.94356
2005-10-05, 04:44 PM
I have never tried creating a rescue disk on a usb drive.
Is that doable? Anyone know.
Might make me feel better about not having a floppy on the newer machines.
I know Xp can recover itself but I'm old fashion. Don't trust the darn thing.

glee.94356
2005-10-05, 04:44 PM
Why tire iron. use the jeep.

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 04:50 PM
That's one reason when I spec'ed out my home computer from Dell, I asked for a 3.5" floppy drive as well as USB slots and a DVD-RW. A mix of old and new.

J. Grouchy
2005-10-05, 04:58 PM
i don't think you can even use a floppy for a WinXP emergency rescue.
i don't have a floppy on my home computer

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 05:00 PM

What are opinions of USB flash drives? I still keep some personal files on a 3.5" floppy... ...which is now stuck in the drive slot (#$%! floppy disk door!). I don't need a tremendous amount of memory.~sigh~ ;)

Doug, I'm going to move this from the CWC forum, as I believe it will be better served here. Thanks.

glee.94356
2005-10-05, 05:01 PM
Yeah, it's what I intended to do but it slipped my mind when I put the spec for my Dell together. So I make lots of backups.
Just no updated rescue disk.

Oh well. At least I'll remember for next time. But by then something else will have taken it's place, distract me and I'll forget to order the hard drive.

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 05:05 PM

What are opinions of USB flash drives? I still keep some personal files on a 3.5" floppy... ...which is now stuck in the drive slot (#$%! floppy disk door!). I don't need a tremendous amount of memory.I love my USB stick and I don't know what I'd do without it. It's handy for carrying things home when you're working on a project every night, you don't want to waste a billion cd's. Extra-necessary for me, because neither of my laptops at home have cd drives.

Also, handy when I go to work on my mom's pc or something and want to take some things that might be helpful (software updates/patches, nifty utilities, pictures of my son, etc).
I have some floppies from back in the day (r10/12 drawings from back in high school! had to move some of them from the bigger floppies to the little ones a couple years back), but honestly never use them unless I am getting documents off my older laptop (which has no usb).

Glenn Pope
2005-10-05, 05:06 PM
My DVD RW is suppose to be bootable but most programs still don't know how to write to it to create rescue disks.
Most updated backup and recovery programs I have seen know how to write to a DVD or CD writer.

My current home system is floppy free. Haven't missed it yet.

CADKitty
2005-10-05, 05:07 PM
I love my little USB drive - 256MB holds an amazing amount of material. Only thing on there so far is pictures and the ATP class I'm writing, but just being able to pop it in your pocket or purse and take it anywhere - much better than floppies!

Oh, and skip the tire iron....try pliers and a screwdriver...:roll:

Glenn Pope
2005-10-05, 05:07 PM
It will depend on the hardware you have. I believe there are some motherboards out there that can be set to boot from a USB device.

Glenn Pope
2005-10-05, 05:10 PM

What are opinions of USB flash drives? I still keep some personal files on a 3.5" floppy... ...which is now stuck in the drive slot (#$%! floppy disk door!). I don't need a tremendous amount of memory.
I love my USB drives. I always have one on me like some people would have a pocket knife.

glee.94356
2005-10-05, 05:24 PM
Ok.
Will get an updated backup program. Stay with no floppy.
Probably will not research bootable usb drive just yet.
Thanks, very informative.

jaberwok
2005-10-05, 06:05 PM
Don't carry it in your pocket - I've lost two in the past year.
Use a neck cord (cheesey, I know) or attach it to your key-ring or similar.

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 06:11 PM

.hmm, I think someone gave me that advice... who knows, you could drop it in a sewer or something. I keep mine on a lanyard/neck cord, one of the engineers here keeps his on his key chain, but, my keys are bulky enough already without all that.

J. Grouchy
2005-10-05, 06:16 PM

or you could wear it on your charm bracelet :-P

jaberwok
2005-10-05, 06:28 PM
or you could wear it on your charm bracelet :-P

Damn. Why didn't I think of that? :!:

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 06:30 PM
~sigh~ ;)

Doug, I'm going to move this from the CWC forum, as I believe it will be better served here. Thanks.
Oh, a mod's work is never done....

Mike.Perry
2005-10-05, 07:13 PM
hmm, I think someone gave me that advice... who knows, you could drop it in a sewer or something.Hi

Yep! I have done that :(

Plus, only yesterday I lost another one somewhere between Birmingham and home (150 miles).

I know really wish I had encrypted the contents...

Have just purchased the following (replacement)...

"Viking 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive" (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=90008)

Have a good one, Mike

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 07:22 PM
Oh, a mod's work is never done....Okay... who changed the title? Not cool! :-x

BrenBren
2005-10-05, 07:44 PM
Hi

Plus, only yesterday I lost another one somewhere between Birmingham and home (150 miles).

"Viking 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive" (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=90008)

Have a good one, Mike
I had one completely die on me recently... fortunately it was empty (I think LOL). Probably dropped my keys in a puddle a few too many times ;)

J. Grouchy
2005-10-05, 07:46 PM
Okay... who changed the title? Not cool! :-x
gosh...i wonder....
:roll:

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 07:50 PM
gosh...i wonder....
:roll:.....and why?

J. Grouchy
2005-10-05, 07:53 PM
.....and why?
who knows? boredom?
whatever...the more we speak of it...the more irritated they seem to get. :roll:

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 07:55 PM
who knows? boredom?
whatever...the more we speak of it...the more irritated they seem to get. :roll:Oh, waah! :roll: Like I'm not irritated that my post has been messed with. My title wasn't questionable, was it?

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 07:55 PM
Oh, a mod's work is never done....:roll: thanks to faithful members like yourself, I never feel unneeded. ;)

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 08:02 PM
:roll: thanks to faithful members like yourself, I never feel unneeded. ;)Speaking of faithful, I knew I could count on you ;-)

BrenBren
2005-10-05, 08:12 PM
Okay... who changed the title? Not cool! :-x
Ok, wasn't me... but, might want to check out the Forum Guidelines, specifically "Forum Do's"

<snip>
Provide a short but catchy description of the issue you are posting in the Subject field of the message. Simply typing "Question" will reduce your responses.
<snip>

:mrgreen:

Maverick91
2005-10-05, 08:14 PM
Ok, wasn't me... but, might want to check out the Forum Guidelines, specifically "Forum Do's"

<snip>
Provide a short but catchy description of the issue you are posting in the Subject field of the message. Simply typing "Question" will reduce your responses.
<snip>

:mrgreen:
Sooo.. was it not catchy enough to draw the curious in?

BrenBren
2005-10-05, 08:17 PM
Sooo.. was it not catchy enough to draw the curious in?
Come on Doug, you should know better...

The title was changed to reflect the thread... we don't need to draw the curious in. These are searchable forums. The similar threads tools works based on the title of the thread...

Quit making a big deal out of nothing. The title was changed - appropriately so - to reflect the nature of the conversation.

This isn't a fun thread in CWC, this is a thread in an AUGI Forum, and it should be somewhat professional..

'Nuff said...

Glenn Pope
2005-10-05, 08:46 PM
Hi

Have a good one, Mike
Your getting one for me too, right? :wink:

So far haven't lost any. Did run a few in the washing machine. Still work just fine.

Mike.Perry
2005-10-05, 08:54 PM
Your getting one for me too, right? :wink:

So far haven't lost any. Did run a few in the washing machine. Still work just fine.Hi Glenn

Yep! you are on the shopping list, right below Melanie (depending on what my MBH spends, will decide if there is enough left in the wallet to buy you one). ;-)

Was that on a "whites" or "colours" wash or it doesn't matter?

:beer: Mike

Glenn Pope
2005-10-05, 09:05 PM
Hi Glenn

Yep! you are on the shopping list, right below Melanie (depending on what my MBH spends, will decide if there is enough left in the wallet to buy you one). ;-)

Was that on a "whites" or "colours" wash or it doesn't matter?

So I guess I'm not getting one :wink:

It was colors. Left them in by pants pocket. Bleach probably would damage them.

Mike.Perry
2005-10-05, 09:13 PM
So I guess I'm not getting one :wink:

It was colors. Left them in by pants pocket. Bleach probably would damage them.Hi Glenn

I believe you are most likely correct on that front...

Thanks, good to know... ~ Note to self: USB key will survive COLOUR wash ~ ;-)

jvoight
2005-10-05, 09:24 PM
I just want to recommend the Scandisk Cruzer Titanium USB drive. I'm a cluts and always breaking stuff. This is the only usb I've found thats made out of metal. IMO worth the extra price. I've washed it a few times, whites, and color, no bleach though.