PDA

View Full Version : Conversion program from AutoCAD to Excel or Access

anapier
2005-10-06, 04:03 PM
It's been too long since I've dealt with this. I know there's 3rd party software out there that allows you to extract the information in "smart" blocks to Microsoft Excel or Access. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Wanderer
2005-10-06, 04:38 PM
It's been too long since I've dealt with this. I know there's 3rd party software out there that allows you to extract the information in "smart" blocks to Microsoft Excel or Access. Can anyone help me? Thanks! Could it be Tool Pac or Xcel to CAD from Dotsoft (http://www.dotsoft.com/)? Haven't used anything like that myself but hear good things.
When you say smart blocks are you talking about blocks with attributes or dynamic blocks or something else entirely?

anapier
2005-10-07, 10:12 PM
Dynamic block? I'm very new to 2006 & didn't get the opportunity to use 2005; so, I'm not sure what those are exactly. But, I'm guessing they're like a door or window block in ADT - where they hold the information about the object: make, model, size, etc? If so, it would be some of those as well as attributes within blocks.

Brian Myers
2005-10-07, 11:56 PM
Dynamic block? I'm very new to 2006 & didn't get the opportunity to use 2005; so, I'm not sure what those are exactly. But, I'm guessing they're like a door or window block in ADT - where they hold the information about the object: make, model, size, etc? If so, it would be some of those as well as attributes within blocks.

A Dynamic Block is kind of like a block with multiple blocks contained within it.

The following link gives you a really good overview of Dynamic Blocks:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5543837

Wanderer
2005-10-10, 11:54 AM
Dynamic block? I'm very new to 2006 & didn't get the opportunity to use 2005; so, I'm not sure what those are exactly. But, I'm guessing they're like a door or window block in ADT - where they hold the information about the object: make, model, size, etc? If so, it would be some of those as well as attributes within blocks.They're somewhat closer to ADT blocks than previous versions, but, they don't really hold information as much as they hold simple physical parameters.
eg, ADT block of a window contains - Make, Model, Size
Dynamic block contains, a 24" window, a 36" window, a 42" window (point that you would have only 1 block for the different sized windows, etc rather than every variation that you would normally have separate blocks for)

not that that's a very good explanation, the link that Brian posted should help if you can take the time to pop over and read up a bit.

jaberwok
2005-10-10, 11:57 AM
It looks as if you are talking about blocks with attributes, not dynamic blocks, so just follow the link in Wanderer's first reply.

anapier
2005-10-10, 06:08 PM
Thank you, all. If you know of any other programs, please post their links as well. Thx.