PDA

View Full Version : 2GB RAM. How, what, where?

PeterJ
2004-02-24, 05:20 PM
What governs a jump to 2GB of RAM? Do I need a motherboard upgrade and if so what are the options and the recommendations. I prefer AMD processors, but only becasue I tend to favour the little guy (these things being relative)

Also does anyone know what is going to happen tomorrow? I don't want to buy something only to have to replace it in a few months time as 64-bit comes through or what have you.

Henry D
2004-02-24, 07:17 PM
By "governs" do you mean what determines if your system can be upgraded? Or, what determines performance: RAM vs. processor?
If it's the former, you can open your case and look inside to see how many slots your motherboard has. Mine for instance, only has 2 slots, so the only way I can upgrade to 2GB is to replace the two 512 modules with two 1GB modules and that will cost me about $450 - if I had four slots I could just add two 512 modules for half the price. To find out what type memory is compatible, you can enter the Motherboard # on google and do a search. For Intel's you can do a search on the Intel site and it will list what modules have been tested and approved for that motherboard (but you like AMD so maybe that won't help).

brentcarlson892079
2004-02-24, 07:59 PM
Like Henry said, a google search will tell you what the motherboard can take.

If you are getting a new computer, then the website where you price it should say what it can use.

As for the 64bit systems... I passed on them in favor of a 32bit system.
I'd rather let OTHER people (ei. don't make their living on the thing) work the bugs out.

PeterJ
2004-02-24, 08:19 PM
I have a motherboard that I has two slots, but I have a vague feeling that it was offered as having a maximum 1 GB capacity. I wondered whether this was based on the non-availability of 1 GB chips when I got the board (it was put in by the guy that repairs my machines so I don't know the spec in detail), or whether it reflects something in the range of addresses the chipset can handle.

FK
2004-02-24, 08:21 PM
Try to find whatever manuals came with your computer. Otherwise, look inside, figure out the motherboard model number and google up its manual. This should specify exactly how much the mb can take.

If you are in for an upgrade, I'm partial towards ASUS mbs. They are a little expensive, but rock solid. I like Athlons too. ;-)

FK
2004-02-24, 08:23 PM
Probably the limitation is how much can be covered by the cache... So the extra GB may work, but sloooowly.

If you have a guy who repairs computers you could ask him to just try sticking an upgrade in.

hand471037
2004-02-24, 09:52 PM
I've had good luck with both the ASUS & Tyan boards in regards to the AMD chipsets.

If you're going to replace the MB & upgrade it might be best to stick with a 32-bit system for now, until the market shakes out in a year or so.

If you have the money, and the desire to have a 64-bit system, AMD's 64-bit chip can still run 32-bit code at full-speed and would be your best bet. However Windows still won't be able to make use of 64-bits for at least another year- there are 64-bit Windows Betas you can try, but that's not something I do any real work on. So unless you use Linux, just keep in mind that the system will be limited.

Henry D
2004-02-25, 02:44 AM
The easiest way to find out your board number is to download Belarc Advisor (it's free). It will show a Computer Profile Summary which among many other things lists the Manufacturer and number of the Main Circuit Board , Serial #, Processor, etc. You can then use that number to search out the tested memory for that board.

PeterJ
2004-02-25, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the notes. I will think on all this. There is no particular urgency about this as my models run perfectly well, it is more strategic thinking on my part.

Henry D
2004-02-25, 03:46 PM
Pete,

It's interesting - I just went through the same thing... trying to decide whether I should upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. My conclusion was that although I could use a bit more speed, not having 2GB wasn't slowing me down that much - I have a 3.06 GHz Processor. I have about 1 more year before I get a new box and the $450 it would cost me to put 2GB in my present machine would be better spent on the next one...also gives me more time to see how the 64 bit systems develop.

PeterJ
2004-02-26, 07:56 AM
That's pretty much my conclusion also

Mod Raz: and anyone who wears a hat like the one in your avatar would come to the same conclusion also.