PDA

View Full Version : 8.1/E - Workset toolbar - O

dfriesen
2003-05-21, 04:17 PM
I would like to see the Workset toolbar dropdown list work like (dare I say it?!!??) the Autocad layer dropdown list. That is, when no objects are selected, the current workset is displayed; when an object is selected, it's workset is displayed, and you are able to assign it to a different workset by choosing from the dropdown list.

E-Key
2005-09-12, 08:16 PM
I vote! One of idea of Revit is that it has Windows-standard-application like tools. It's normal for applications now to show properties of selected objects in pull down list. It will be nice for Revit to do so as well.

Wes Macaulay
2005-09-12, 10:43 PM
Great call Daniel... poll added!

iru69
2005-09-12, 11:21 PM
That is, when no objects are selected, the current workset is displayed; when an object is selected, it's workset is displayed, and you are able to assign it to a different workset by choosing from the dropdown list.
Funny, today I was moving a number of various objects to different worksets, and tried selecting the object and then selecting the workset from the dropdown menu - but it obviously didn't work. Not a huge deal, but one of those little things that would be nice if it did.

irwin
2005-09-13, 02:39 AM
A few years ago I made the same mistake Irusun described above, and considered changing the behavior to what Daniel has described. But, on further reflection I realized that it could cause some confusion.

When elements are selected it the Modify tool, it is possible to perform operations that create new elements. These new elements are put in the active workset. Now, suppose you have a particular workset that you'd like to put these new elements in. If you change the workset listed in the toolbar pulldown, does that control where the new elements will be placed, or does it change the workset of the selected elements? :confused:

Then there's the case that there is an element that is still selected from a previous operation, but it is off the screen and you've forgotten about it. You go to change the workset pulldown for the element you plan to create next. Oops, you just changed the workset of this other element. :banghead:

There were a few times when we considered having tools do one thing if nothing is selected and a different thing if something is selected. These ideas were usually rejected due to concern about this confusion.

Wes Macaulay
2005-09-13, 04:25 AM
Well, I'm glad *someone* thought of that scenario. You can't say the software hasn't been thought through, huh kids? :mrgreen:

E-Key
2005-09-13, 11:40 AM
I'd like to offer to extend the toolbar functionality. Rename it to "Worksets and Phases" and place Phase pulldown list working like Worksets' one.