PDA

View Full Version : Site topography - Changes

Steve_Stafford
2004-03-05, 11:03 PM
Create separate toposurfaces in a separate project if you are facing multiple ideas. Then link em...I used design options for related work that doesn't reside on these separate topo projects.

I just went through a few design iterations for a site study. Two different berm options and planting etc. It was tedious at best to edit the topo for each within the project itself. So I decided to create each berm option as a separate project and link them back into the main site project.

Each berm is it's own topo surface and they are sufficiently "deep" to dig into the master site topo. Worked quite nicely. I was able to sketch them out much faster without dealing with the overall site and the split topo of driveways and so on....here's one berm image...

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1672

aggockel50321
2004-03-06, 12:58 AM
I'd have to agree, Steve, in the stuff I've been attempting, that it makes sense to keep all the topo stuff as a seperate project, & then link it to the building.

Seems to make it much more simple, & eliminates a lot of overhead in the building project, like, having topo stuff showing up in other views where I really don't want to see it & don't want to turn it off with view templates, etc.

For myself, the topo & site stuff seems to be the last thing done, and your method works the best...

PeterJ
2004-03-07, 01:40 PM
You'll have a job on the golf course before you know it, Steve.

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-07, 02:22 PM
So Steve, what you're saying is that each berm option is its own Revit file? Why not have all the options together in one file using Design Options?

I can see why you've got the berming options in a separate file from the project, though...

cogen
2004-03-07, 04:39 PM
This is a great way to control topo visibility. Most of our projects are in NY city where there is little or no softscape, but even so there are times when I don't want to display sidewalk and street even though the info is needed in the model.

Steve_Stafford
2004-03-07, 10:50 PM
So Steve, what you're saying is that each berm option is its own Revit file?....

Yes, separate projects for each berm but you know now that you ask. I thought about putting the berms in one project and using design options, but without confirming I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to say which option was visible in project file when linked in, but now I'm wondering if I could've...have to check.

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-08, 05:51 AM
Aye. Good point. I s'pose the primary would be the only one that would show up...