PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Blues...

kyeric
2005-11-10, 11:49 PM
Ok,

I had this great idea to use wipeouts in my dynamic blocks to allow easy manipulation and updating of windows, doors, openings, etc in plan and elevation... I set up quite a few blocks and they seemed to have worked great...but then the wipeout would come to the front of the block definition in some drawings. I reopened the blocks, found that the wipeout was in the wrong location, sent it to the back, resaved and it happened again and again.

I would think that there would be a solution to having a wipeout stay in the background all the time, almost locking it in place...

Oh great and powerful CAD gurus, is there a way? I was so excited about my new blocks, just to find that they do not work makes me want to just weep. Please help me!

Thank you for your responses in advance,

-e

Mike.Perry
2005-11-11, 12:24 AM
Hi Eric

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD 2006 General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197) forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Mike.Perry
2005-11-11, 12:25 AM
Hi

For starters have a browse of the following thread...

Using Wipeout in Dynamic Blocks (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17718)

Have a good one, Mike

kyeric
2005-11-11, 05:40 AM
Oh no....

I appreciate the help Mike, but that last post was also another dead end!
Is anyone else doing this kind of work with wipeouts and dynamic blocks?

Somehow I feel like there is an answer....

Anyone?....

Bueller?...

RobertB
2005-11-11, 06:38 AM
Wipeouts will work a bit more reliably if they are truely the first object in the block. Not just sent to the back via draw order. However, WBlock and Copy-n-Paste can still make them misbehave.

mark.62793
2005-11-11, 02:58 PM
I can never get these to work as intended. I try my best to stay away from wipeouts as much as possible. I hear nothing but problems like you've explained.

Chris.N
2005-11-14, 08:56 PM
I haven't had any problems with wipeouts (knock on wood) yet in my blocks that use them. Here's an example: wall type callout block.

I also have a macro in my "plot" toolbar button that helps to make sure all of my wipeouts are turned off. (this is a cut/paste, note end spaces)

^C^Cqsave WO F OFF _plot
I also have a macro to turn all on, but that would be another thread...

as always, feedback is welcome!

bowlingbrad
2005-11-14, 09:33 PM
CNIBBE, Could you please expand on why do you turn off the wipeouts before plotting?

I have avoided wipeouts since the beginning. I would just like to hear if they have been improved upon since r14?

Chris.N
2005-11-14, 10:41 PM
CNIBBE, Could you please expand on why do you turn off the wipeouts before plotting?

I have avoided wipeouts since the beginning. I would just like to hear if they have been improved upon since r14?
Ok, unlike pspace viewports, wipeouts act like they don't exist if you place them on defpoints or a "no plot" layer. when I use a wipeout, it's function to me is like a little liquid paper... but I don't want to see a bounding box around the blanked out region.

I have found that w.o. behavior gets goofy in Xrefs, so I do try and avoid those.

in the example of my wall type block, it is hexagonal and I wanted to just be able to "rotate" the callout line, but needed to find a work-around for the variable radius for the base of the line. ( I know I murdered that explanation... just play with the block...)

bowlingbrad
2005-11-15, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

Have you thought of a rotation action on everything but the text in the center of the tag?

Chris.N
2005-11-15, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

Have you thought of a rotation action on everything but the text in the center of the tag?we use 2 fields in those blocks, the second is for clarifiers and is just outside the polyg at about 4o'clock position. if it wasn't for that (never mind i didn't think of that....), i think it's a marvelous idea. I've used it for our demo notes, where the note shape is also the pointer, and there is only the one field.