PDA

View Full Version : Spring loaded button

awarren
2005-11-11, 05:11 PM
I have a LUG member who gave me a dozy at last nights meeting. She has a part that has a switch that is activated by door (door closes and pushes the switch like a refrigerator). She wants to know how to make the switch open and close with the door, yet when the door opened fully the switch can not go with it. The switch is a push button type with a spring that makes it want to stay out. She added a spring but it won't really work.

Does this make since?

jonathan.landeros
2005-11-11, 10:14 PM
I have a LUG member who gave me a dozy at last nights meeting. She has a part that has a switch that is activated by door (door closes and pushes the switch like a refrigerator). She wants to know how to make the switch open and close with the door, yet when the door opened fully the switch can not go with it. The switch is a push button type with a spring that makes it want to stay out. She added a spring but it won't really work.

Does this make since?
That sounds like a toughy. I don't know if it can be done (at least not easily), but here's some thoughts.

1) Contact solver for the moving in and out part.
2) Adaptivity can cover the spring and make the spring expand and contract (It's a little tricky though).

The hard part is if there's forces that have to be applied. That would require a kinematic package (which Inventor doesn't have right now). There used to be a product called simply motion, which you could fet for free, but I'm not sure if it's still available anymore.

bb.54369
2005-11-13, 06:51 PM
This may help... I checked with my colleagues at mcadforums.com and one found an example at mymcad.com (Drew Fulford's site).
http://www.mymcad.com/inventorfaq_answer4306.html
The link leads you to an assembly that has an adaptive spring setup. It should do what your customer wants - I believe.

Bill Bogan
Product Designer - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.