PDA

View Full Version : Why worksets

jeddafish
2005-11-14, 06:31 PM
Am I missing something?
In 8.1 why have worksets at all? How about everyone just borrow elements and work along. This way you don't have to concern yourself with being in the correct workset and you don't have to check out any worksets. You are always just a borrower. This way any number of people can workshare.
--jeff

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-14, 06:37 PM
I see your point.

Just for thought, perhaps the biggest motivator is performance. If your project grows to a substantial size you'll want to "carve" it up into logical pieces that you can choose to turn off when working on one piece. You'll find "selective opening" of worksets to be your friend when this happens.

Another is the collateral feature of having discreet visibility control over these user worksets on a view by view basis. Just don't confuse this with layers and end up with a billion worksets :smile:

Tom Dorner
2005-11-14, 06:39 PM
You could accomplish what you suggest by simply having two worksets: shared levels and grids and then everything else.

On larger projects most people like to define a more structured workset approach for visibility control and performance so you only have to open what you need not the entire model.

Tom

P.S. I see Steve beat me to the post button

jeddafish
2005-11-14, 07:34 PM
I see your point.

Just for thought, perhaps the biggest motivator is performance.

Another is the collateral feature of having discreet visibility control over these user worksets on a view by view basis. Just don't confuse this with layers and end up with a billion worksets :smile:

Yes, I can see the performance end of things. Thanks for the needed info on why to go to the trouble of setting up and working in worksets.

--jeff

sbrown
2005-11-14, 09:01 PM
small projects you are right. However I allways want my site info either in another file or its own workset. I love making worksets that are NOT visible by default for minor levels and grids, structure, interiors etc.

jeddafish
2005-11-14, 09:37 PM
small projects you are right. However I allways want my site info either in another file or its own workset. I love making worksets that are NOT visible by default for minor levels and grids, structure, interiors etc.

Good to know I'm doing some things right. I made a site file with the building linked in. Also linked the site into the building model to get accurate elevations with grades showing.