PDA

View Full Version : Joist to columns

david_peterson
2005-11-15, 11:26 PM
I guess I'd say I'm new to the whole Revit world, but this one's just a little :screwy:
Is there a reason why I keep getting errors when I try to put a joist between 2 HSS columns?
Thanks

kmarsh
2005-11-16, 02:22 PM
David,
Have you considered the possibility that RS just doesn't like you? ;)
But seriously, I know learning new software can be frustrating, maybe the answers to some of these questions can help the forum diagnose it:

1. What is the text of the error message?
2. Have you checked that the columns go up to the level that you're trying to add the joist to?
3. As a check, have you tried creating a framing elevation and adding it there? (I think you should be able to do this...) This is obviously not the preferred method for adding these things but it might help diagnose.
4. Have you added any slabs or openings yet? (I'm a little suspicious of these things because they caused errors with moving a column grid later on one of my test models)
5. Have you tried just adding a wide-flange instead of a joist? (could it be a problem with the particular family you are trying to insert?)
6. Is the problem happening in only one column bay or is it happening everywhere? on every level too?

david_peterson
2005-11-16, 03:52 PM
I was able to get them to connect in one direction, but not the other (As a joist girder).

I don't have anything in the model yet except my hss cols and some steel framing. The WF beams worked just fine. The wierd thing was I trided a different size joist and that worked in one spot, but I went to add another and it didn't. I keep track of the error messages, and make another post later.
And yes, I'm wondering if RS really does hate me. ;-)