PDA

View Full Version : CD'S FORUM

ariasdelcid
2004-03-14, 03:52 AM
What do you think about creating a forum dedicated to the Working Drawings Process? people could put examples of their CD's sets and tips and tricks just related to CD's developing and delivering. Thank You.

m_cahoon14336
2004-03-14, 11:22 AM
A lot of information that could be addressed in a CD Forum is already addressed in the General and Tips & Tricks Forums. How would you see the CD forum different from these? What topics related to Const. Docs. do you see that are not being covered?

ariasdelcid
2004-03-14, 03:12 PM
I just see it as a place were you can find issues related just to 2D representation of the architectural deliverables. No modeling per se, no rendering, just plain old Construction Documents: Plans, ELevations, Sections, Keynoting, Scheduling, Detailing, etc. MOst of what I see of work in progress is Renderings and modeling. Just a thought. If everybody thinks is not important then is ok. Thanks for the input.

AADC

Henry D
2004-03-14, 03:54 PM
I think this is a very good idea - in fact I suggested it in a recent post. Instead of a gallery of renderings it would be a gallery of CD examples. There is a lot to be learned by seeing different ways of doing CD's.

(Does "ariasdelcid" have anything to do with El Cid Campeador?)

cogen
2004-03-14, 03:59 PM
We can always look at magazines for design references, but there is no widely available resource for working drawing examples. I think this would be particularyly useful for one-man/small offices where one person is making all of the decisions. This type of production envirionment can get stale if you don't have access to new and different ideas.

ariasdelcid
2004-03-14, 06:52 PM
(Does "ariasdelcid" have anything to do with El Cid Campeador?)

Yes it does; good catch!

Dean Camlin
2004-03-14, 08:16 PM
cogen said:
We can always look at magazines for design references, but there is no widely available resource for working drawing examples. I think this would be particularyly useful for one-man/small offices where one person is making all of the decisions. This type of production envirionment can get stale if you don't have access to new and different ideas.

I agree. I always enjoy looking at others' working drawings. Some are mundane; some are hideous; some are works of art. For example, the original ink-on-linen drawings for the Lincoln Monument were on display once at the Building Museum in DC: they were something to see.

I'd love to catch a glimpse of some of Frank Gehry's working drawings. Or the other Frank's. Or Saarinen's. They must be kept somewhere. How do/did these guys/gals translate their design ideas into a form understandable by the builder?

I'm even willing to post some of my drawings for your potential vilification. As long as everyone understands that the posted examples are not to be built from, it would be okay.

cogen
2004-03-14, 08:29 PM
Dean, how could I ever villify someone who quoted me? :roll:

sbrown
2004-03-14, 10:18 PM
I like the idea and will glady share cd sets I've worked on in the past. How should we post them, I can post individual dwf files, The problem is this will eat up a lot of space quickly. My typ. set is around 10mb dwf. Now if we just post some key sheets, ie 1 plan 1 bldg sect. 1 wall sec and detail sheet, site, or doors. Maybe just a sampling.

I am also interested in SD sets. Since I started using revit I've realized the deliverables for sd and dd have/should change. Where we used to produce 2d plans sections and elevations for sd's, now we can show 3d iso and perspectives so how do you handle this. Do you charge the client more because they get more or do you just "give the 3d away" because you have it and use it in house?

cogen
2004-03-14, 10:27 PM
I agree about the use of 3D in sd/dd. I remember a recent post where it was suggested that limited shaded views to assist in conveying a concept might be throw-ins, but rendering would be charged. I recently completed a bid set which included a complex mansard roof, and used 3D details - primarily to ensure it gets built right (and secondarily to show off :lol: ).

muttlieb
2004-03-15, 04:50 PM
I plan to make the switch from ADT to Revit in a few months. I'd love to see a forum dedicated to CD's. I know I am facing a bit of a learning curve in getting up to speed in Revit, and I think a CD forum would be of great help.

ariasdelcid
2004-03-26, 05:21 PM
So I guess this didn't go anywhere? I thought it was important.

AADC

christopher.zoog51272
2004-03-26, 06:12 PM
So I guess this didn't go anywhere? I thought it was important.

AADC

sorry, I got busy and forgot to add the new forum, it's a good idea, I'll do it now. :)