PDA

View Full Version : Metric and imperial dimensions

PeterJ
2003-05-23, 06:12 AM
Need to show a drawing with both metric and imperial dims?

Set a dimensions style to your metric version then copy it and rework it with imperial settings but set the dimension position to be below the line and to the right - defaults are left and above.

Place your metric dimension then place an imperial dim in the same location so that the dim lines are coincident and you will appear to have one dimension with both measures.

P

beegee
2003-05-23, 06:21 AM
Need to show a drawing with both metric and imperial dims?

Set a dimensions style to your metric version then copy it and rework it with imperial settings but set the dimension position to be below the line and to the right - defaults are left and above.

Place your metric dimension then place an imperial dim in the same location so that the dim lines are coincident and you will appear to have one dimension with both measures.

P

Peter,

Thats very clever, but ah, why would you want to do that ?
We colonials converted to real dimensions ( ie metric ) back in 69, I think.
Reading the many threads ( in other NGs ) on problems with fractions of inches, rounding etc. - metric is the only way fly.

My 2 inches worth :D

beegee

PeterJ
2003-05-23, 09:10 AM
The industry generally thinks metrically, but many clients still think imperial. It is changing though.

I sometimes stick imperial dims on a drawing for a lay client as a courtesy.

My 50 mm worth.......

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-23, 01:48 PM
You know, it's kind of sad. Although I "know" the metric system, I just cannot get my brain to think in metric. I was poking around in one of Martin's detail families, and I was taken back by the 4625mm dimension, though part of me knew how long it was, I just couldn't get my brain to envision it, I finally punted and set it to imperial. I just can't gauge spaces in metric. :cry: I guess it just comes with pratice.

BTW, I really don't like the imperial system that much, but sadly, I don't think it will ever change here :(

PeterJ
2003-05-23, 02:23 PM
Chris

Of course it won't change. I've been there I know you all have twelve fingers and twelve toes, unlike the rest of the metric world where we have just ten.

P

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-23, 02:32 PM
Mine go to eleven....

PeterJ
2003-05-27, 07:02 AM
To eleven? Then you are in trouble both with feet and inches and with ozzes and lbs.

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-27, 01:59 PM
Exactly, it's one louder...

Thomas Cummings
2003-05-27, 02:39 PM
When my son was 3 I used to play the old "count your fingers for you" scam. As you count each finger you say the number 8 after each instance,...........one-eight, two-eight, three-eight. By deftly skipping "eight-eight" he would wind up with eleven fingers. This confounded and amazed him and his daycare pals who would line up for re-counts. :lol:

Ahh, simpler days.

ajayholland
2003-05-27, 03:54 PM
Maybe a metric system will take hold if we ever get off-planet. I'm currently re-reading Asimov's Robots of Dawn (1983) where the "spacers" have adopted a metric time-keeping system: 10 hours per day; 100 minutes per hour; 100 seconds per minute.

Now that I think of it, why should there be 360 degrees in a circle? Wouldn't 400 have been just as good? :lol:

-AJH

Scott D Davis
2003-05-27, 06:32 PM
in a metric base-10 system, a circle should have 100 degrees.

Dean Camlin
2003-05-27, 08:38 PM
Scott Davis said:
in a metric base-10 system, a circle should have 100 degrees.

Is that what gradians are?

So, I'm not sure I like this 10-hour day stuff. I'm lookin' for more time in my day, not less!

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-27, 09:29 PM
So, I'm not sure I like this 10-hour day stuff. I'm lookin' for more time in my day, not less!

Ahhh yes, but remember, each hour has 100 minutes, and each minute has 100 seconds. :wink:

Anybody remember that old SNL skit about the metric day! I was a baby when it was broadcast live, but it's still funny. :D

ajayholland
2003-05-27, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot: 30 days per month, and TEN days per week.
So a full day's work would be about four hours. There's no equivalent for a weekend, so I'd go for five on and five off.

Also in Asimov's future society, through the elimination of disease and other social ills, the average life expectancy was increased to 350 years. Is that better or worse?

Sorry this thread is now way off the original topic.

-AJH

aaronrumple
2004-12-20, 02:42 PM
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58460.html

Actually there is quite a bit of practicality in the imperial system (...even tho I'm a colonist). Imperial units were designed to be manipulated without complex devices. I can take one whole and make two haves, quarters, eighthes, twelfths with just a simple balance. It is equally practical on the construction site. Dividing things into fifths is hard.

The term "two bits" comes from the collision of the US metric dollar and our imperial measurements. If you wanted a half bushel of corn that cost $0.25, you didn't have a currency that matched. So they just cut a quarter in half and then you had "two bits".

(...of course we all know two bits makes a byte, which is a whole 'nother story.)

tinkerr
2005-12-12, 07:28 PM
Actually, two bits comes from the old Spanish money Pieces of Eight which could be brocken into eight bits so two bits was a quarter.