PDA

View Full Version : Layer Management (what's on, what's off)

SRBalliet
2005-11-30, 02:07 PM
We have a perpetual problem in our civil office. It is in inevitable that after all the last minute changes and 25 sets of 65 sheets have been plotted before a job goes out the door, somebody will see a sheet that either has a layer turned on (thawed) or off (frozen) that shouldn't be. Being the draftsman it is told that it is our job to monitor that. Visually doing it just doesn't cut the mustard, a drafter gets desensitized to the drawing after working on it for hours and days.

We are currently using the Layer Management Tools in Express Tools to set up layer states. But I was wondering what others are doing to prevent this problem. I was almost thinking (that's what I do best, almost think) that a lisp or VBA routine might work that would warn someone who is plotting that the current layer status does not match the Layer State for that drawing. Do you want to proceed or cancel? Anybody have anything like that?

Any comments or ideas?

SRBalliet
2005-12-01, 12:29 PM
Forum Moderator, can we move this to a more appropriate Forum? Take your pick. I not getting any feedback from this one.

Thanks

jaberwok
2005-12-01, 12:57 PM
If the desired state is constant or one of a small group of states, how about running a script that sets each layer to the standard?

Mike.Perry
2005-12-04, 09:05 PM
Hi

Try plugging the following search criteria into the forum search (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) facility...

Key Word(s): Layer + *State* + Layout

Have a good one, Mike

Alex Page
2005-12-05, 12:10 AM
it isnt the most failsafe way, but its pretty good...

We have reprogrammed everyone not to thaw or freeze layers in the 'sheets' once they have been setup with the right layers frozen/ thawed.
When staff need to for visual 'temp' purposes, they use on/off instead and we just use a startup script which turns 'on' all layers. We also have a button for 'turn on all', so staff got used to it pretty quick (ie: easier for them to turn off layers and then 'turn on all' instead of working out which layers they need to thaw)

Hope this helps