PDA

View Full Version : Concrete structure only problems

TSTEPHENSON
2005-12-01, 09:26 PM
why do my concrete columns change to steel when I import the model into etabs.
Also does anyone use revit structural to draft concrete hi-rise buildings. My firm looking
at investing in revit but unsure becuase it appears to be more steel orintated than other
materials. (ie masonry, wood, concrete, light gauge steel)

david_peterson
2005-12-02, 04:46 PM
Just like ADT, RS looked at the easy stuff first. Steel. Concrete design is a little more complicated, not to mention free form. I'm hopping that the Ram like due out in the first part of the year will be able to do Concrete. We are currently looking at both RS and RamCadStudio. I know that Ram Cad works well with concrete, and allows Ram to design, and create things like footings directly so you don't have to draw them. It also handles scheduling task well.

kmarsh
2005-12-09, 05:56 PM
The issue with switching concrete columns to steel during export to ETABS is likely (but not definitely) an issue with the link software. As I understand it, each partner (Etabs, Risa, Ram) is providing the actual software that makes the "link". The software accesses the Revit model and pulls out information necessary to re-create the model in the partner package. So, if my understanding is correct, it would be Etabs' responsibility to keep the concrete, concrete during export because it is Etabs' software that is actually doing the exporting, not Revit. I'd suggest that you check with Etabs. I know that Risa has published a document of things that they don't do are aren't currently doing with the link.

Hope this helps.

david_peterson
2005-12-09, 06:04 PM
The issue with switching concrete columns to steel during export to ETABS is likely (but not definitely) an issue with the link software. As I understand it, each partner (Etabs, Risa, Ram) is providing the actual software that makes the "link". The software accesses the Revit model and pulls out information necessary to re-create the model in the partner package. So, if my understanding is correct, it would be Etabs' responsibility to keep the concrete, concrete during export because it is Etabs' software that is actually doing the exporting, not Revit. I'd suggest that you check with Etabs. I know that Risa has published a document of things that they don't do are aren't currently doing with the link.

Hope this helps.That's my understanding as well. But here's the point. If Autodesk really wants people to use RS as they (adesk) envisioned; they need to work with the partners as opposed to saying "We have open source code for others to use; it's up to them." If RS can't take the info back because they aren't set up for it, that's on Adesks side. If RS can export a model, create a model and "do" all these other things, they should be able to import it as well. I can tell you that We'd buy 30 seats tomorrow if the link worked and our engineers didn't need to change the way in which they work. That's part of the reason why I think we'll be using RamCad Studio instead of Revit, even though Revit is the better choice.

Steve_Stafford
2005-12-09, 06:24 PM
...our engineers didn't need to change the way in which they work...This statement creates a bit of a paradox for you then...how can you ever use something new if you aren't willing to adapt? :wink:

gkite
2005-12-15, 10:47 PM
why do my concrete columns change to steel when I import the model into etabs.
Also does anyone use revit structural to draft concrete hi-rise buildings. My firm looking
at investing in revit but unsure becuase it appears to be more steel orintated than other
materials. (ie masonry, wood, concrete, light gauge steel)I have not experienced what you describe and we are using RS primarily for highrise concrete structures at this point. ETABS has handled the importing of concrete columns without any problem.