PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Sheets with revisions

cstarr
2005-12-16, 04:40 PM
Is there a way that I can get Revit to tell me which of my sheets have been revised (i.e. have revision clouds on them)?

aaronrumple
2005-12-16, 04:50 PM
No.

Revisioning needs to be reconsidered by the entire industry in light of BIM. Clouding details just doesn't work with BIM. What we need is revision tracking like in word and other applications. Something much more sophisticated.

cstarr
2005-12-16, 04:53 PM
The only work around I can find is to create a project parameter for my sheets called 'revision' then manually enter the number of time that sheet has been revised. I created a sheet schedule and filtered out Revsions <1. Seems to work for now, but it requires some 'human interaction' otherwise known as error. It seems revit should be able to count.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-16, 06:58 PM
to do ccn and si do you use the options tool? Create the ccn as an option and once it is accepted, accept the other onto the model? I have not used the option tool much yet and wondering if this is a good (and another) use for it.

Justin

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-12-16, 08:02 PM
Justin,
For more extensive changes options might be a good approach but for the majority of SI's I think using options could become quite cumbersome and difficult to manage.
I am currently under construction on a tower project and use the following method to track RFI's and SI's if they require modifications to the model or any sheet views.

Track revisions by project not by sheet
Make revisions to the model as required (move walls, add dimensions, revise text etc.)
Cloud the revision on the sheet view
Assign a separate revision number referencing the RFI (e.g. Revision 8 - RFI-024 - Door added)
Create a PDF 'snapshot' view and issue that as a sketch detail if required. The detail sketch would reference back to the original sheet number
The logic here is that since the model is a dynamic thing and will change over time, creating separate callout views can not be relied on. If the area being revised undergoes additional changes at a later date then the earlier callout no longer reflects what was issued. You also don't need to recreate dimensions and other annotation in the callout view.
Since we are generally required to provide record drawings at the end of a project keeping the model up to date makes sense. It also allows printing of current information at any time.
Once the project is done and record drawings need to be printed the revision clouds can all be turned off and you have a clean set of drawings.
As for tracking which sheets have changed; every time I add a revision I just make a habit of copying the latest revision tag and placing it in the corner of my titleblock in the sheet view.

Not necessarily the only way to do it but it seems to be working so far.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-16, 08:49 PM
but what about a ccn that goes out, and the client does not decide to accept the price and the original design is kept. does that mean you have to redraw what you already had?

Justin

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-12-16, 09:17 PM
Depending on how significant the change I might do it using options or even just hand sketch something to get feedback prior to changing the model.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-12-27, 07:59 PM
I dont like any of the answers ha ha. I find the revision option in Revit just so not revitish. Sure I know if I add a revision to the sheet it shows up on the border with the date nice and cool. that is the good. the bad is as followed.

1. clouds cover up important info on the sheets ( need a transparency )
2. has a great function in the cloud properties called comments. this would be a great way to track revisions, but you cant export this info to a schedule or anything.
3. cannot see on the cover sheet which sheets have revisions on it. without adding dumb text and preying someone fills it in.

Dont get me wrong if you were the only one working on a project sure this is great, but with multiple people working it. This becomes impossible to find out what was changed if the person that changed it does not document it.

Furthermore we dont always plot entire sets, most of it is just a title and the revised sheets, and a revision letter (which could be filled out automatically if the comments section would schedule) so searching through the sets to make sure you got all the sheets with clouds on it stinks.

just my two cents worth I hope the issues get fixed because the comments part of the cloud has so much potential

neb1998
2005-12-28, 06:22 AM
I made a request for a similar system a few weeks ago...A way of tracking what sheets were chaged after a specific date....so if we modify a roof pitch we automatically know what sheets have changed and where to put the clouds...this is more advanced than what you are asking for...but with REVIT being parametric we have to rely on each of us to remember every detail changed instead of the norm where we had to change them all manually.

While this is not imperative it would be nice to be able to track these changes.

david.fannon
2007-10-25, 12:02 AM
Revisioning needs to be reconsidered by the entire industry in light of BIM. Clouding details just doesn't work with BIM. What we need is revision tracking like in word and other applications. Something much more sophisticated.

Fair enough, but in the meantime, I think a way to schedule those sheets that have been revised would be very useful. This could be an added column on a drawing list that tells if a particular sheet was issued at a particular revision. The sheets must know if they've been revised (they know to fill in the revision schedule on the titleblock.

I agree that things need to get more sophisticated, but for now I'd settle for access to the information that's already there.

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-25, 01:45 AM
Not an endorsement but this 3rd party application is available at THIS SITE (http://www.revittv.com/Index.html). They call the product Drawing Manager. I haven't used it myself but they claim to resolve these issues somehow.