PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Network License

jgmconsultant
2005-12-22, 09:08 PM
We have Architectural Desktop 2006 with a Network License, but have not yet installed it. The documentation on how to do this is clear enough (Setup the License Manager on the designated server and activate the license). My question is, and the question from our MIS department... What happens if you have to move the license? I've been looking all over for documentation on how to move the network license from one server to another, but can't find anything on the subject.

I need to get on the new version just to keep up with everyone, but the server available to me right now to install the LM is only temporary. I'm going to need to move it to another unknown server sometime soon (so the distributed model is no help... I prefer the single server model). Uninstalling and reinstalling the LM doesn't seem it will be a problem... but what about license activation? And how can I easily adjust my already installed workstations to find the new license location?

Any help or documentation you can provide will be appreciated

-John McGlynn
jgmconsultant@aol.com

jpostlewait
2005-12-22, 10:49 PM
Not a big deal.
A new license file will need to be generated for the new server as the license is tied to the server name and MAC address.
I don't have much luck with the on-line activation but the phone call only takes a couple minutes and they will e-mail a new license file while you are talking to them.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

jpostlewait
2005-12-22, 11:16 PM
Three ways to change the workstations to see the proper license manager.
The following thread in the autodesk discussion groups should fill you in.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=439518

HTH

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.