PDA

View Full Version : Offset command + Ctrl

Chad Smith
2004-03-25, 12:49 AM
Heres one I found by accident when I was using the Offset command and accidentally hit the Ctrl key.

When pressing Ctrl and offsetting, the original object which you are referencing from is deleted.

Scott Hopkins
2004-03-25, 01:02 AM
Good find Chad! Following your tip I tried the same thing with the move and copy commands. Holding down the Ctrl with the move command cause things to copy and vise versa with the copy command.

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-25, 02:46 AM
If you click the Control key while you're in Offset mode, you'll see the check box go on and off. Very cool indeed!

Note to self: RTFM.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-25, 03:21 AM
RTFM: Does that have anything to do with Read The Effen Manual?

Wes Macaulay
2004-03-25, 03:57 AM
Yeah. I say that in frustration: a lot of these so-called gems are clearly documented in the help files!

I first heard the term "RTFM" from Dimitri (HCSL) and at first I had no idea what he was talking about... "sounds like an RTFM question" and had a good laugh at that.

It really is worthwhile to read the help manuals once in a while, eh?

TeamRPM
2004-03-25, 04:12 AM
very nice find, got a little saying over here that I'll have to append
'when all else fails,...hit the 'tab' key'
looks like ctrl can be just as valuable.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-03-25, 04:40 AM
My other favorite saying in these situations is "when in doubt, read the instructions!" (note: does not seem to apply to children of any age when learning a new video game :wink: )
A whole bunch of windows programs take advantage of shift and ctrl keys to toggle functionality in a variety of commands. SketchUp is probably the best of the bunch that I use.