PDA

View Full Version : Text problems with multiple files open

rmoore
2005-12-28, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Inventor and there is one thing I've noticed on my system that isn't right when I have multiple files open.

I can read all sketch dimensions, text, etc.. in the first file that I have open, but in all files opened afterwords, text items are not legible. The later files text simply look like filled blocks instead of dimensions or text. (See attached)

I have Inventor Series 10, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, default HP Graphics Card (not certified).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,
Ron Moore

mikef.nosler
2005-12-29, 12:39 AM
You spent the money on a hot machine, take the leap and put a decent video card in the thing as well. We tried to use the base cards in our HP machines and although we did not see the errors you are seeing, we saw other graphics errors that were difficult to accept. I am as cheap as the next guy, but when it comes to CAD I try to be sure to get a reputable card that works well in the system for reasonable money. The last card I bought is an ATI FireGL v5100 and we got it pretty cheap ($199). We are also running nVidia Quadro4 980 XGL (but it is a retired card now) and they work good too.

Did you get your switch set to recognize the increased RAM capacity? Rymal posted a thread regarding memory being recognized and needing to change a switch in an ini file. Autodesk was able to help him with that. We have not had to do that here (only running 2gig) but that will help you use that excess ram you have. That may be an issue you are seeing there.

Good luck!

rmoore
2005-12-29, 02:30 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the response! I just discovered the tweak to get Inventor to recognize the extra ram but when I implemented it there was no difference in the graphics behavior.

I think you are correct about the graphics card. We just upgraded our department to AutoCAD Mechanical 2006 and a couple of seats of Inventor so getting any extra money for a graphics card right now might be difficult. I may have to live with it until the next budget is approved.

Thanks,

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-29, 05:04 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the response! I just discovered the tweak to get Inventor to recognize the extra ram but when I implemented it there was no difference in the graphics behavior.

I think you are correct about the graphics card. We just upgraded our department to AutoCAD Mechanical 2006 and a couple of seats of Inventor so getting any extra money for a graphics card right now might be difficult. I may have to live with it until the next budget is approved.

Thanks,I'd guess the graphics card too. I recall that some of the lower end Nvidia cards (like the GeForce), would start getting tempermental if you had more than a few windows open. So it's possible you're looking at a similar issue.

You could try turning down your video options (Tools>Application Options - Hardware Tab), but this isn't a good replacement for a solid Video card.

gsanchez23
2006-01-03, 08:58 PM
That is the fix I did to my HP laptop, lowering the setting kept it from crashing out of the program, but I never saw any issues as yours. It simply booted me out.

rmoore
2006-01-03, 09:03 PM
You could try turning down your video options (Tools>Application Options - Hardware Tab), but this isn't a good replacement for a solid Video card.
I had to change this to the second to the lowest setting to allow Inventor to run in a stable fashion when I first started using it. I would Crash To Desktop at any higher higher setting.

Thanks for the response.