PDA

View Full Version : Different STC behavior?

patricks
2006-01-11, 03:59 PM
I just opened a central file that was created back in version 6 or 6.1, and has been upgraded throughout previous releases. This time I opened it in 8.1 and re-saved it as a central file to bring it up to the current version.

Now this is a project that is nearly completed construction, and I was just adding a couple of details to some 8.5x11 sheets to fax to the contractor. I had all worksets editable, and when I hit the STC button, it seemed to just save the file. It did not ask if I wanted to release my editable worksets. But then when I opened the Worksets menu, it had indeed released all worksets except for the user-created worksets. Those I had to manually change to non-editable, and then when I closed the file it asked if I wanted to save changes.

Is this normal in 8.1? Why did it not give me the dialog box showing the central file location and asking which worksets I wanted to release?

sbrown
2006-01-11, 04:35 PM
Yes, now in 8.1, clicking the STC button just publishes your changes. If you want to relinquish stuff, use file>save to central. They worked very hard in 8.1 making worksets more behind the scenes(I think they were very successful). also when you are ready to close the project, you can just do file>close and it will prompt you as for STC and relinquish. Note in 8.1 you almost never need to check out a workset, just make sure the active workset is selected so added components go on the right WS.

patricks
2006-01-11, 04:49 PM
Hmm I don't think I like that. I usually need to save my changes to central several times in a day, especially when we have multiple users working on the project. One user will need to see the other's changes, and so both users will need to STC. So now I have to go up to the file menu and choose the menu item to STC instead of just clicking the button in order to save changes without relinquishing what I checked out. Not cool in my book.

Also how would you get by without checking out worksets when you have to work in different views like elevations, details, etc. that are not editable?

*edit* I also noticed in the Help file that it says to click the STC button which will bring up the STC dialog box. Did they neglect to revise that part of the help file?

patricks
2006-01-11, 06:43 PM
Well I'm reading the tutorial I see that you can edit elements not checked out by anyone else and Revit will automatically borrow it for you. That sounds good to me. I guess I'll get used to it.

Wes Macaulay
2006-01-11, 08:06 PM
Yes, now in 8.1, clicking the STC button just publishes your changes. If you want to relinquish stuff, use file>save to central. Hold on -- isn't it the other way round? If you hit the STC button, on my end you are always relinquishing elements. If you don't want to do this, then you have to go to the STC dialog and uncheck the boxes...

david.kingham
2006-01-11, 08:08 PM
Uhhh I think your wrong Scott, If you hit the STC button it does relinquish, just bypasses the dialog box. I just tested it, moved something, hit stc and now that object is no longer checked out

Beat me to it Wes :D

patricks
2006-01-11, 10:29 PM
Yes that's right. I think I'm liking this new-found functionality. Now if I relenquish everything, then remember something else I needed to do, I can just go do it and not have to worry about checking out stuff again, as it borrows it for me. Sweeeeet.

I think the icing on the cake would be pop-up notifications of editing requests, but of course we know that would require constant communication between central and local files and would take up too much computer resources, I think.

david.kingham
2006-01-11, 11:05 PM
I've notice that requests have almost completely gone away, occasionaly you will run into someone else, when we do we just have them STC as it seems 90% of the time we do run into each it requires a STC and won't allow just a request

hand471037
2006-01-11, 11:09 PM
I've notice that requests have almost completely gone away, occasionaly you will run into someone else, when we do we just have them STC as it seems 90% of the time we do run into each it requires a STC and won't allow just a request

Same here. Borrow-as-you-go, and if you run into someone else, just ask them to STC and keep working, for 9 times out of 10 they are done with whatever it was they touched that you now are effecting. Much, much faster then checking things out first, and way easier to teach other people...

sbrown
2006-01-12, 03:46 AM
You are right it does give back automatically which facilities the next person being able to work right away. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion. I do stand by the vast improvement to workflow in 8.1.

patricks
2006-01-12, 02:03 PM
So do you guys not even check out worksets at all? Not even user-created worksets?

I guess it would be good to check out a particular workset if you wanted to make sure nobody else messed with it while you were working on it, right?

sbrown
2006-01-12, 03:20 PM
Exactly, or if you are taking work home, then I check out what I need so there is not conflicts when I return.

david.kingham
2006-01-12, 03:21 PM
Nope haven't checked out a workset since 8.1, only reason I can see is if you take the file home and you don't have a connnection back to the network (which of course is risky because it locks everyone else out till you return)

FYI the STC button does not save your local copy

Wes Macaulay
2006-01-12, 04:12 PM
For that reason, I create a new workset(s) that I use for adding new stuff to the model, then delete those worksets when I get back to the office.

hand471037
2006-01-13, 02:18 AM
For that reason, I create a new workset(s) that I use for adding new stuff to the model, then delete those worksets when I get back to the office.

There's a nice idea. Thanks for that one, I'll have to give that a go.

Look at the brain on Wes! :D

irwin
2006-01-13, 03:14 AM
You can add new elements to an existing workset without making the workset editable, even if you are disconnected from the central file. You can continue to edit these new elements until you reconnect and save to central. So I'm not sure why you'd need to create the new workset you describe.

Wes Macaulay
2006-01-13, 08:18 AM
An example of pre-8.1 behaviour! I guess my idea stems from the fact that other people may own the workset to which I'm adding stuff; fearing that I'd lose control of added objects when working "offline" this was my fail-safe. I'll give it a go, though -- would make life simpler!

patricks
2006-01-16, 05:33 PM
When you create elements, they automatically go on the workset shown in the pulldown box in the toolbar, whether or not it is editable. You are the borrower of said new objects until you STC and releast borrowed elements. I'm pretty sure this has always been the case, as far as I know since at least 6.1.

Wes Macaulay
2006-01-16, 07:21 PM
That's true. And since you can't STC at home you won't lose control of them like you do when you're in-office adding elements to worksets others have signed out (still happens around here now and then).